(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Age You Started Riding a Motorcycle?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  8:33 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
At what Age did you develop your Motorcycle Skills?

Results:
Age 5 to 12   [15%] 10 votes 
Age 13 to 18   [17%] 11 votes 
Age 19 to 25   [20%] 13 votes 
Age 26 to 40   [27%] 18 votes 
Age 41 to 60   [20%] 13 votes 
Age 61+   [2%] 1 votes 
= Guests (19 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 66 counted  »»   Last Vote: 01/30/2007 1:32 PM 
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  9:56 PM
As I was under 13 when I first rode a motorcycle, I chose that option. Though, i'm not certain thats what you were after. Asked when I "developed" motorcycle skills, i'd respond 40 something.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  10:46 PM
My response is similar to Niebor's. We had the mini bikes and friends had those little Honda mini trails (50 cc 3 speed automatics)when I was 12. That's where I started. Moved to Honda Trail 90s at about 13, and some Yamaha enduro at 14-15. Got onto a bigger bike at 19 and rode for several years --- then quit and returned at 49. That's when I received any formal training... and found this site.
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
726 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  12:25 PM
I didn't count any minibike/dirt bike time as the former was 35 years ago and the latter involved running down dirt trails through the bush with only a helmet and shorts (not much learning/development involved).
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  1:57 PM
The first time I operated a motorcycle was at age 18. That consisted of one ride on a friend's Bridgestone 175. I learned a few valuable lessons (including the "squeeze both levers to get out of trouble" lesson. But I didn't really start to develop my skills until I bought my Honda CB175. With that bike, I spent a lot of time in parking lots, on side streets, and seeking out railroad tracks to cross.

TT
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  5:02 PM
Bought my first motorcycle at 15 from a school teacher. Dad wasn't happy and made me sign a life insurance policy claiming he wasn't going to pay to bury me when I went out and killed myself.

That yamaha 180 twin 2 cycle was my only transportation for two years.
Go to Top of Page

BikeWhisperer
Male Standard Member
163 Posts

Alabaster, Alabama
USA

Honda

ST1100

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:30 AM
The qualifier here is 'develope' which entails using knowledge/common sense/intelligence to increase a skill or to improve a level.
The first time I ever got on a motorcycle for whatever reason, had to be around 1960 (I was 7). Outside a restaurant while parents inside still eating, I saw a beautiful, chromed-out motocycle and climbed aboard without permission and without any adults around. After getting off, the bike started to move and then tipped over on its side. No sidestand and realized the bike was balanced against a low bedding wall. Ran back inside and sat down with parents trying to act like nothing happened. Should have heard the noise when the owner discovered what happened to his bike! I may have invented 'road rage' just then...
Go to Top of Page

kezza01
Female New Member
13 Posts

brisbane, queensland
Australia

Yamaha

XV250

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  6:01 PM
i really can't count the bike i had when i was 14 - i couldn't go more than two feet before i dropped it - ever.....

so i was 44 when i decided i wanted my licence and nearly 45 when i got my first (and current) bike....

sooo much fun i wish i'd done it earlier.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  5:32 PM
Started out 33 years ago on a Yamaha TX500 A (acquisition mode at 19) just because it looked fun and a then friend had one and it was a nice alternative to driving the vette) No course or instruction but I did take and succed on my M1 full endorsement. First ex wife had different thoughts 4 years later and then second ex wife did not endorse ownership (conflicted with Royal Dolton collectibles)so now my lady of 4 years fully recognized the personal need to get back into this without question (good for her = no option). I needed to be back into this form of personal freedom without question
Go to Top of Page

dalemllns
Male New Member
17 Posts

scottsboro, alabama
USA

Honda

shadow

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  4:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Godell

At what Age did you develop your Motorcycle Skills?

I first started riding dirt bikes at about 16 but as when I developed skills on the highway..25
Go to Top of Page

biggunbob
Male Standard Member
139 Posts

parma, OH
USA

Harley-Davidson

electraglide classic

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:03 PM
Hey, I got my license at 49 and first bike at 50. It took me a long time to decide if I really longed to ride or was it more like I thought I was missing something? I'm glad I took the plunge!
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:09 PM
I purchased my first (so far my only) bike in 2003, one week after passing my MSF course on my 61st birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Tomatododger
Male Starting Member
9 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Honda

750 ACE

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  8:30 PM
Dreamt about it at 14. Went for the MSF last September - bought bike about 3 weeks ago...thirty years later!
Go to Top of Page

sammyj
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Cushing, oklahoma
USA

Suzuki

cavalcade

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  3:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by biggunbob

Hey, I got my license at 49 and first bike at 50. It took me a long time to decide if I really longed to ride or was it more like I thought I was missing something? I'm glad I took the plunge!

I started riding at age 28 ( am 69 now) First bike was a 750 Four cylinder honda,550 suzuki,750Yamaha.I quiet ridding for a while. In1978 I got a new Harley Elect-Glide FLH. That sure was different.Back in those days no motorcycle endorsement was needed in oklahoma, Just a driver license. Rode that bike for two years, sold it. Now it is 2008 and i got a 1986 Suzuki cavalcade.That bike is about more than i can handle,but i am learning fast. Is there and easy way to pick this bike up if i drop it. That Harley was easy but i was younger and stronger. GOOD RIDING GUYS. And BE SAFE to ride again
Go to Top of Page

DblAA
Male Junior Member
45 Posts

Oakland, CA
USA

Kawasaki

'97 Vulcan 750

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  3:36 PM
Sammyj,

Check out tip #75.
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/t...TOPIC_ID=169
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  5:30 PM
quote:
Is there and easy way to pick this bike up if i drop it.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

In addition to the kill switch I'd recommend turning off the ignition so you don't kill the battery.

I'm not so sure about the second part about laying down like you are injured to get someone to stop to help if you can't get it up. I think that was meant as humor.
Go to Top of Page

jbphoto
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Belle, West Virginia
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXDB

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  12:35 PM
I bought my first street bike, a Triumph, when I was 15. That was 48 years ago. I've been riding almost consistently since with only a hiatus or two for military service and a move across the country where it was too expensive to bring the bike. It was pretty old and just not worth it. Current ride is a Harley FXDB (Street Bob) and I'm lovin' it. Summer of 09 I'll be making a round trip from West Virginia to Northern California and back. This will be the last long trip BEFORE I retire. Who knows what will happen after that!
Go to Top of Page

Guildman
Male Junior Member
56 Posts

Dumfries, Virginia
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  4:46 PM
34 as a birthday gift from my wife--if you count the first class. 35 when I was licensed and had my own ride.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05