(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Tire replacement, sport bike
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  10:02 PM                       Like
I'm looking at the rear tire of the Ducati (at 8200 miles). The tread in the center of the tire (where I normally ride, apparently) is just now failing the margin-to-Lincoln's-head-on-a-penny test.

But the tread away from the center and on the portions of the tire that have the white paint that says "pussy" is barely worn. Go figure.

My question is, does the penny test apply to sport bike tires as well? There are no wear bars showing, but this is the point where I would replace the tire on my Guzzi.

The front tire still looks good. Is it normal to have the rear tire worn out before the front? (I know...depends...but I'm wondering what others' experiences have been who own sport bikes.)

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  6:32 AM
There was recently a similar discussion, about "cruiser" tires....the "Lincoln's head" test, is a generally accurate measurement of tire tread depth. You can buy a proper tread depth gauge and measure depth at various locations.

Wear is associated with weight of rider, aggressiveness of riding style, conditions of the roadway etc.

On every bike I've owned (again individual rider's experience) I've gotten twice the mileage from my FRONT tire, as the rear.

While I ride on fairly "curvy" roads, and my "chicken stripes" are less than many other riders, my rear tires will still have quite a bit more tread at the edges, than the center.

Most roads do tend to have more straights than curves, even race tracks.

How shallow a thread to allow? in NC there must be a minimum 3/32 of an inch, or the bike will not pass inspection. Obviously, wet traction, will be effected greatly by the lack of tread depth.

There are two things that I won't try to save money on.... those are tires and brakes
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  7:50 AM
I'm trying to figure out why it's a surprise to you that the rear tire on an 1100cc Ducati would wear out faster than the front. You've managed to go twice as far as I've ever been able to go on a rear tire, so you should be happy with that. It's time to be ordering a new rear tire.

And you need to find some roads with a few curves to get some use from the sides of your tires.
Go to Top of Page

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  7:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SkootchNC

There was recently a similar discussion, about "cruiser" tires....the "Lincoln's head" test, is a generally accurate measurement of tire tread depth. You can buy a proper tread depth gauge and measure depth at various locations.

Wear is associated with weight of rider, aggressiveness of riding style, conditions of the roadway etc.

On every bike I've owned (again individual rider's experience) I've gotten twice the mileage from my FRONT tire, as the rear.

While I ride on fairly "curvy" roads, and my "chicken stripes" are less than many other riders, my rear tires will still have quite a bit more tread at the edges, than the center.

Most roads do tend to have more straights than curves, even race tracks.

How shallow a thread to allow? in NC there must be a minimum 3/32 of an inch, or the bike will not pass inspection. Obviously, wet traction, will be effected greatly by the lack of tread depth.

There are two things that I won't try to save money on.... those are tires and brakes

Thanks. What motivated the question is an observation of the variety of sport bike tires. Some appear to have very little tread depth even when new (observations around the dealer floors).

I agree with you regarding brakes and tires. I'm having the rear replaced this week.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  9:33 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I got 12,000 miles from the rear Michelin Macadam (discontinued I think). I put on Dunlop D220's, for long wear, although they're also discontinued. If you want a longer tire life, look for more sport touring type of tires.

Doesn't that MultiStrada come with a sort of adventure bike tire, with an on/off road design? I wish I could find one of those in my rear tire size.

ps: Over the years, I've gotten about double the life out of front tires than rears, except my current bike. I get 1/3 MORE from the rear tire on this one.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

Doesn't that MultiStrada come with a sort of adventure bike tire, with an on/off road design? I wish I could find one of those in my rear tire size.
The last Ducati that came with other than a full-on street tire was the 1994 E900 Elefant. Everything since then has had tires designed for paved roads.

Cagiva continued making that bike after Ducati dropped it, and it evolved into the GranCanyon.

The Multistrada - at least some of them - came with the Pirelli Diablo, which is a sport tire, not even sport touring. If I were putting new tires on one, I would go with the Pirelli Diablo Strada, the same tire I'm currently running on my ST2. They're well behaved and last a bit longer than the regular Diablo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05