(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Long luggage - carrying musical instruments
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

nviii
Starting Member
3 Posts

Basel, Basel-Stadt
Switzerland

Yamaha

XJ750 SECA

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  11:35 AM                       Like
Hi, all. New member & new rider here; amazing information you've all provided.

I'm just starting riding, and plan (eventually) to use my motorcycle (an '82 Yamaha XJ750 Seca) to carry me to gigs, carrying my trombone with me.

If it was a normal modern trombone, that'd be fine - a decent backpack gig-bag would suffice. Unfortunately, it's a replica of a large and strangely-proportioned Baroque-era bass. The custom-fit case, a hardshell of my own construction, is as small as possible - and measures in at 41" long, 6"x6" at one end, tapering to 6x3". (metric: 120cm x 15cm x 8cm)

My bike has a substantial luggage rack. I'm wondering if there would be a secure, safe way of attaching the case to the rack in place of one of the hardshell saddlebags. I was thinking there should be a way of fixing it on the side, pointing back at about a 45-degree angle; this should keep it out of the way, minimize wind intrusion, and so on.

Am I missing something, or being in some way foolish? Or is my thinking more or less on the right track?

Thanks to all!
Nate

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  5:53 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Nate,

It would be of some help if you could post a picture of your bike the way it is presently equipped then we could visualize more easily. I am sure there is a way to accommodate your needs but it would be more helpful to receive specific suggestions based on your bike rather than shots in the dark.

I looked up your bike on the net and found stock pictures but didn't find one with the saddle bag rack that you described. From what you have indicated thus far, and without the visual assistance of a picture, I would tend to suggest a parcel carrier to connect to the saddle bag rack via quick connect. You could strap the trombone to the parcel carrier and still keep your bags. The rack could be quickly and easily removed when not transporting the trombone.

In any event, I am sure you will receive some interesting and ingenious advice from our members.
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  7:45 AM
Seems to me you ought to be able to fabricate a carrier. Once done, I wonder if it will double as a golf bag carrier?
Go to Top of Page

frankencat
Starting Member
9 Posts

Tampa, Florida
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  8:58 AM
As a biker and musician of almost 30 years who has carried guitars and other gear on bikes I will say that sometimes it is better to take the cage...

:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05