(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Buying a used bike - is this a good deal?
 Good reliable Honda for $4k - $5k
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

jackhcrail
Starting Member
3 Posts

Aurora, Ohio
USA

Honda

Goldwing

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:52 PM                       Like
I own a Goldwing here in Ohio but I am going to Phoenix for the month of February. Renting is too expensive ($750 per week!), so I thought I would buy a bike and ship it back (for around $600) and sell it in Ohio.

Any recommendations of a bike that will carry my wife and I and have good resale value?

Jack

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  1:22 PM
Cycle World has an article each month of "Best Used Bikes". Here is a link to these monthly articles which are a good guide to various possibilities and includes price range information. https://www.google.com/search?q=cyc...1680&bih=906

Problem is, while each of the selections featured in the articles has great information, there is a lot more to buying a used bike than what you see in the articles and I suggest the term "buyer beware" be applied in the strongest of cautions. For instance a "low mileage bike in Ohio may not be comparable to a low mileage bike in Arizona with a year round riding season. These, and dozens of other factors would go into a decision such as you have hypothesized (insurance, warranty, tire age and condition, service cost for oil change and general road readiness checkout etc, etc.)

You might consider the possible advantages of a new motorcycle to be picked up upon your arrival. This is the time of year that one can obtain a good deal on 2011 holdovers.

I think that if you work the numbers, renting, particularly if you bargain for a lower rate based on the length of your rental, is the least expensive and most "hassle free" option.
Go to Top of Page

jackhcrail
Starting Member
3 Posts

Aurora, Ohio
USA

Honda

Goldwing

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  2:34 PM
Thanks Gymnast. I appreciate the link and insights. If I do choose to buy a used bike, do motorcycle mechanics check them out for you like car mechanics do?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  3:27 PM
When looking for a used bike, unless you have your heart set on a specific make and model, the best thing to do is to look for the best deal that meets your needs. There are lots of bikes that should work well enough for two-up riding, although it will be very hard to match the passenger comfort of a Goldwing. I would suggest taking your wife along to look at any potential bikes and have her sit on the back to decide how it feels

A friend of mine looked at a lot of bikes for two-up riding and settled on a Yamaha FJR sport touring bike. He and his wife go all over the place on it.

Last year I convinced my wife to go with me to the local dealer that was giving Triumph test rides. She very rarely rides with me, but was willing to give it a try. She said that she liked my KTM better than the big Triumph cruisers that I was expecting her to like better.

By the way, your best option might just be to ship your Goldwing to Phoenix, ride it while you're there, then ship it back.
Go to Top of Page

jackhcrail
Starting Member
3 Posts

Aurora, Ohio
USA

Honda

Goldwing

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  11:30 AM
Thanks Scott. I did discover something about the shipping option that may help others on this forum. When you try to get quotes for shipping a motorcycle, you find a lot of "shippers" on the internet who will throw prices at you. After some research I found that none of these who responded to me did any shipping at all. They take a deposit from you and then post the shipment so that actual carriers decide if they want to take it. Often they come back after accepting your down payment and say that the price went up for reasons beyond their control.

So I am finding that shipping from Ohio to Phoenix is going cost me more like $1k each way. Anyone found a cheaper way to get a bike across the country?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  12:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jackhcrail

So I am finding that shipping from Ohio to Phoenix is going cost me more like $1k each way. Anyone found a cheaper way to get a bike across the country?
The last bike that I shipped was through JC Motors - http://motorcycleshippers.com/

Many of the other "motorcycle shippers" actually use them to transport the bikes. In my case, I had sold a valuable Ducati to a guy in Canada and he arranged all of the shipping details. I'm pretty sure that the shipping was less than $1000. They took excellent care of the motorcycle, had proper shipping palettes, and clearly knew a lot about motorcycles.

It would be worth checking with them. Explain exactly what you're doing, both ways, and maybe they'll give you a good deal for shipping it twice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05