(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 The new BRC (BRC 2013)
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  8:34 AM                       Like
What does everyone think of the upcoming changes to the BRC next year? Reducing to 14 exercises (not all the same), online interactive prebriefs, skills test matching the RST with the curve test from the Street RiderCourse.

I've been only hearing verbal information from iRETS attendees, but I'm hoping one of the safety/training gurus on here attended.

CaptCrash
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Nampa, ID
USA

Honda

Phantom

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  11:15 AM
What did they cut? And were there corrosponding increases in the length of other exercises or did they short total range time?
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  12:27 PM
To my understanding the total time is the same. While some exercises will be retained, others will be removed or recombined.
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  6:10 AM
Tonic:
I was there. In fact, Ray Ochs did give us a glimpse at some of the changes they are considering in the BRC. However, no handouts were provided nor would he give us copies of the presentation because everything we were shown has not been cast in stone. The only exercises I heard that may be going away are Exercise 8 and 11 and that time saved will be added back to other exercises in the form of changes. The skills test will be changed to more closely match the RST that states are beginning to use to test new riders at their motor vehicle test offices. Other exercises will be modified by adding more time, some exercise splits will be added to allow more off bike "absorption time" and various skills such as a more structured turn from a stop will be added. I did not take any notes since we were told the information was still subject to change but it seemed like each exercise had some sort of improvement.

I thought the big news was the consideration they are giving to going to an on line classroom module for BRC students to complete prior to showing up for the face to face classroom work with the RiderCoaches. If I understood Ray's presentation correctly this will allow the face to face classroom work to have added topics aimed more at the street riding skills and strategies for staying in one piece on a motorcycle as well as the self assessment and perception modules used in courses like the ARC.

Each proposed revision sounded to me like solid improvements in the curriculum. However, we were cautioned that many things were still up in the air and that a fair bit of pilot and field testing remained before the changes would be considered final. At this point, I think we all just have to take a wait and see position and prepare ourselves for a new curriculum roll-out/upgrade process that will include some sort of formal training for the 9000+ BRC Ridercoaches after the individual states decide how and when to implement the changes that are released.

I think the best I can offer at this point is that changes in the BRC are coming and to keep in touch with your individual state's Administrators and RiderCoach Trainers to see what your state will choose to do with the curriculum updates.
Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05