(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Goldwing Trike Riders Course
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  9:49 PM                       Like
A few weeks ago I wrote that I was to attend a Trike riders coach course sponsored by the Gold Wing Riders Association. I attended the first part of the 5 day course in Knoxville, TN this past weekend. I wanted to fly a Cessna 172 there, but since I have not done a cross country flight in nearly 12 years, I felt I would do a bit of local practice before trying something that far - 730 miles each way from Central Texas to Knoxville and back.

So, I went by bus. That's right, a commercial bus and they stink. 28 hours and many of them in a crummy terminal.

But, the first day of the course was fine. It was all about methods of instruction. All of us in the class had the gift of gab and many were former military so we have had to do a bunch of teaching in our previous lives. I will ride up there for a 4 day range course on my trike in early September. While there, I am only 138 miles from the Tail of the Dragon and a couple of the parkways so I will add those to my journey.

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  11:31 AM
Is it the evergreen safety council course?
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  6:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TonicBIA

Is it the evergreen safety council course?

Tonic:
The OP indicated it was a GWRRA trike course. The GWRRA has developed their own curriculum. We have two Nebraska RiderCoaches who teach both the GWRRA and MSF 3WBRC curriculum. They tell me that the the courses are fairly similar and neither of them seems to feel that one is superior to the other. I'm MSF 3WBRC certified but I have no personal experience with the GWRRA curriculum to tell you more about it.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  6:36 AM
Thanks Dave. When he said sponsored by I didn't realize gwra had their own course. I'm getting S/TEP certified in the Fall so I was curious.

Anyway sorry to hear about the bus. Hope the course is great
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  5:59 PM
Tonic:
You are welcome. Please make sure to tell us about the Evergreen course after you have attended.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 09/22/2012 :  3:05 PM
Went from Texas to Eastern Tennessee. Did four 16 hour days and passed the course. I am now a state licensed (Texas) trike instructor.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  6:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Texasphotographer

Went from Texas to Eastern Tennessee. Did four 16 hour days and passed the course. I am now a state licensed (Texas) trike instructor.

I just wanted to thank you for the update and congratulate you on your achievement. Four 16 hour days says a lot about your determination. I hope you had time to stop and smell the roses on your way back.
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  8:47 AM
Thanks. I spoke a bit to fast about being licensed in Texas. Texas is the only state that requires more documentation than the GWRRA proof that I am not a serial killer or a sociopath (little do they know) I had to submit a lot more information plus fingerprints for local and FBI determination that I am not a risk to society. This information was just accepted by Texas and I am now licensed to teach.

Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to ride the Dragon or other great roads while in that neck of the woods. I am going back in the early summer to avail myself of those roads. Meanwhile my trike now have 53,383 miles on it. I got it with 12,300 so I have been doing what we all love: Riding.

quote:
Originally posted by rayg50

quote:
Originally posted by Texasphotographer

I just wanted to thank you for the update and congratulate you on your achievement. Four 16 hour days says a lot about your determination. I hope you had time to stop and smell the roses on your way back.

Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  9:03 PM
Took a couple of months, but Texas granted me the license to teach trike courses in Texas.

April 5 & 6 I taught my first class. We had 12 riders and 5 passengers for a total of 17 people. Thank goodness my other instructor (he was the primary) had given this class many times. He is MSF certified two and three wheels as well as a GWRRA instructor.

Although I have taken the BRC, ERC a couple of times on two wheels and the TRC three times as a student, I still learned a lot about the mechanics of riding. Of course, James's has great tips here that have lent to my somewhat limited knowledge. Every day above ground we learn something new or we should.
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  9:04 PM
Took a couple of months, but Texas granted me the license to teach trike courses in Texas.

April 5 & 6 I taught my first class. We had 12 riders and 5 passengers for a total of 17 people. Thank goodness my other instructor (he was the primary) had given this class many times. He is MSF certified two and three wheels as well as a GWRRA instructor.

Although I have taken the BRC, ERC a couple of times on two wheels and the TRC three times as a student, I still learned a lot about the mechanics of riding. Of course, James's has great tips here that have lent to my somewhat limited knowledge. Every day above ground we learn something new or we should.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05