(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Buying a used bike - is this a good deal?
 Does this make any sense?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  9:18 PM                       Like
Yesterday while out and about I decided to stop by one of the local dealers just to look around and see what they had in the showroom.

My attention was drawn by a 2009 Ducati Multistrada 1100S. It is base color of white with a custom "Italian Flag" green/white red graphic on the tail section, has an aftermarket taller windscreen, Leo Vince exhaust and a Sargent touring seat with 17K miles. The tires are in good shape with 2010 mfg date and the bike comes with a 1 yr parts and labor warranty from the dealer. They are asking $10,990. This is at a multi-brand dealer, but they are NOT an authorized Ducati dealer.

To those who are experienced with Ducatis...Am I nuts to be considering this? Is the asking price in line with the value of the bike? If something does go wrong is it reasonable to assume that a non-Ducati dealer would be able to get it straightened out? I'm not 100% sure if I should look further into the bike (go back and do a test ride) or if I am just being seduced by a beautiful Italian (again).

I appreciate any advise / insights you may have to offer.

Edited by - kacinpa on 01/06/2013 9:37 PM

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  8:33 AM
NADA lists suggested retail at $10,290. KBB lists it at $9210. That's the price dealers should be asking with everything in top shape. I would use KBB for negotiating.

I never really liked the styling of the first generation Multistrada, and I do not like the red and green paint on the back. I like red, white, and green Ducatis, but only the ones that are tastefully done.

However, other than that, it should be a great bike to ride. The suspension of the S model makes a difference in how it handles on twisty roads. You do have those in Pennsylvania, right?

The one other thing that I would check is when the cam belts were last changed. They're supposed to be changed every two years. You can go as long as three without worry, but I wouldn't go much past that. If the bike has sat unused for a significant amount of time, stick with two years on the belts. If they're not changed when they're supposed to be, they can break, causing major engine damage.

As for getting work done on it, you generally want someone who knows what they're doing to handle valves and fuel injection. The rest can be easily handled by any good motorcycle mechanic. At least find out how far away the nearest dealer is.

Don't take it for a test ride or you'll probably end up buying it.

That's why I still haven't done a test ride on the new Multistrada 1200. I can't afford one right now and I'm almost certain I would be trying to trade in my KTM and hand over a big pile of cash to get one.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  8:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

As for getting work done on it, you generally want someone who knows what they're doing to handle valves and fuel injection. The rest can be easily handled by any good motorcycle mechanic. At least find out how far away the nearest dealer is.

Don't take it for a test ride or you'll probably end up buying it.

That's why I still haven't done a test ride on the new Multistrada 1200. I can't afford one right now and I'm almost certain I would be trying to trade in my KTM and hand over a big pile of cash to get one.

There are two Ducati dealers fairly close, one, Fast by Ferracci is "THE" Ducati dealer as Eraldo Ferracci was one of the first to race Ducatis here in the states "back in the day". Sadly they rarely have a used Multistrada (or a new one for that matter) as they focus on sport and racing bikes. However, they have a great reputation for their service department, so no worries there long-term, I am more concerned about an issue during the dealer warranty period.

Thanks for the heads up on the cam belts, I will add that to the list of questions should I go forward.

I'm still not sure if I want to go any further with this, but at least I have an idea for negotiations should I decide to pursue it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05