(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Chain Lubrication
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  10:07 PM                       Like
Weather and commitments have kept me off the bike for much longer than I ever anticipated. Salt covered roads will keep me off until the next really good rain and the appearance of a large number of pot holes promises to make that first return ride interesting.

I have a couple of winter maintenance / mods to do and while I am at it I want to give my chain a good cleaning. Since I learned so much in a relatively brief thread about leaving the petcock set to on (don't do it) I thought I would ask about lubricating a chain.

I had read that chain lubrication is best done after a ride. I am wondering about the method to that madness. I'll probably clean and lubricate my chain without having ridden the bike and wonder if that would be wrong or merely a violation of best practice.

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  11:35 PM
No Sir, there is nothing wrong with doing it "cold". It is easier to clean a warm, just been ridden, chain than a cold one.
Go to Top of Page

JanK
Male Junior Member
89 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

R1200R

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  6:52 AM
From what I've heard the main reason for lubing a warm chain is that the oil is less viscous at higher temperatures, thus more of it will penetrate the spaces between links and less will remain on the surface, to be flung out when you first ride.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05