(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Adding a fairing with custom mounts
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  1:30 PM Follow poster on Twitter                      Like
So...being the cheap@$$ that I am, I wanted to add a full fairing to my '94 Magna without spending a small fortune. I scoured eBay for a couple of months and finally came across a Vetter Windjammer V, Shoei Hard bags, luggage rack, trunk and engine guard that came off of a 1980 CB750K...starting bid of $50 with no reserve...pickup only and about 70 miles away. I watched it all week and no activity at all. The last day, I put in a $100 maximum bid and was the only bidder...won for $50.

I picked it all up and took it home. Now comes the fun part.

Vetter went out of business in 1985, my bike is a '94. Therefore, no mounts were ever made for my bike.

I went to Home Depot and bought $20 worth of angle iron and flat stock and broke out the welder. Here are the results...

Not the prettiest welding job I've ever done but it cleaned up pretty nicely with a grinder.

I have driving lights (obviously), a stereo and power outlets mounted in the fairing as well.

It's amazing how much longer I can ride without getting tired since the wind isn't trying to drag me off of the seat anymore. And it's awesome for cool weather riding.

Just goes to show you...where there's a will (and a limited budget), there's a way.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  1:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Magnawing

Not the prettiest welding job I've ever done but it cleaned up pretty nicely with a grinder.
I hope your photos are from BEFORE you cleaned up the welds.

Nice job of finding a way to make it work. It seems like fewer and fewer people know how to do that these days.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  1:56 PM Follow poster on Twitter
Yes...the pics were taken before the welds were even cool. I haven't taken any since I cleaned them up and painted them.

I've always been a DIY kinda guy...I can't see paying someone else 5 times the $$ for something I can do myself. I actually did take it to a shop for a quote and he gave me a price of $650 to fabricate the mounts. I like my price better...not as pretty but definitely easier or the wallet.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  3:25 PM
Good job!! It amazing what one can accomplish with a bit of initiative.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  4:02 PM
Nice job. You will come to even further appreciate the advantages of your Windjammer when doing a 400 or more mile day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05