(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Speakers....
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scweeeker
Female New Member
12 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Softail

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  2:32 PM                       Like
Hi. Trying to get some input on anyone who has put handlebar speakers on their bike. I have perused several online. I ride Softail Heritage and would love to have some tunes to keep me company. Does anyone have suggestions? I figure on spending $300-$400 on something good.

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  3:29 PM
I really dislike bike mounted speakers. In order to be heard above the wind noise, they have to be turned up so loud they bother people around you. The total volumes involved are harmful to your hearing. They are also a target for theft. The solution I've found is to use sound attenuating ear buds. They attenuate ambient noise to save your hearing. Wind noise alone can damage hearing over time, causing tinnitus, reduced hearing clarity and reduced volume. All riders should wear ear plugs, at least at highway speeds. Sound attenuating ear buds can cut ambient noise by 25db, not as much as ear plugs can but enough to save your hearing.

Ear buds put the audio between the reduced ambient noise and your ears where the volume can be kept low, saving your hearing yet allowing decent audio. Over the counter ear buds with good sealing ability start hurting my ears after a few hours so I got Challenger M custom ones made. They are well worth the money. http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html
I plug mine into a socket I mounted on my bike for the combination GPS/MP3 player. Those not wanting to be wired to the bike can use a Bluetooth receiver.

Finally. make sure you are the type of person who likes music in the background rather than the type who really gets into it. Otherwise, too much focus as taken away from the road.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  4:09 PM
I have never had music on any of my bikes. I do know a couple people that have added them and will inquire some details for you.

How are you planning on driving them? Meaning, are you gonna use a mp3 type device or a full stereo system? If going the full system route, especially if using an amp, make sure you do not exceed bike's your charging system.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6950 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  4:41 PM
Speakers, cruise control, and a backrest - three things I'll never want nor need on a motorcycle.

For those who have stereos on their motorcycles, I'm curious at what speed you can still hear them. Maybe it's because I've also never had a very tall windshield, but beyond about 50 mph I would expect the wind noise to start drowning out any sound from the speakers. It's even that way in a convertible car with the top down.

Whenever I feel the need for music while riding, I just sing inside my helmet.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  1:42 PM Follow poster on Twitter
I have a Shark Audio 100 watt system mounted in my fairing and have no problem hearing it at speeds up to 75 mph...and I can still hear what's going on around me. I used earbuds for the first few month I had the bike but I really don't like shutting out all other sounds...with the stereo, I can still hear horns, truck engines, sirens, etc.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  2:28 PM
"Speakers, cruise control, and a backrest - three things I'll never want nor need on a motorcycle."
I agree with you, however I do have a tuned exhaust the plays a looped version of Wagner's "Ride Of The Valkyries".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRU1AJsXN1g

Edited by - gymnast on 05/06/2013 2:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 10.99 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05