(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Military Rider Training Takes a Hit
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  9:39 AM                       Like
Armytimes.com reports that sequestration budget cuts have left the future of the Marine Corps Level 3 program for advanced riders in doubt, and that longer wait times for Level 1 and Level 2 training are anticipated. In addition, funding for the Corps' Semper Ride website and Facebook page, which drove Marines to the training courses and promoted positive attitudes toward motorcycle safety, is gone.

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  12:29 PM
It should be interesting to see how this works out. I know a few guys that devoted the last few years to Military Traffic Safety training- teaching and developing new courses. However, it seems like this type of training is the first to go in any kind of budget cuts. It's a shame but it's hard to defend paying for the training to allow a privilege to participate in an inherently dangerous activity.

quote:
Originally posted by aidanspawhich drove Marines to the training courses and promoted positive attitudes toward motorcycle safety, is gone.

Knowing a lot of the RiderCoaches that went out to commands over the last five years to meet riders, built clubs to conform to new orders, write club charters, organize events, volunteer time to do maintenance and TCLOCS demonstrations and work week after week bringing a positive training attitude to levels 1-3 training- lets at least give those guys a little credit.
Go to Top of Page

AF Cruiser
Male Starting Member
1 Posts

Navarre, FL
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster 1200

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  2:15 PM
Interesting to hear the challenges the Corps is going through. I'm stationed at Hurlburt Field, FL and the Air Force makes it's people jump through a thousand hoops before you're allowed to ride on base. Two different certifications, commander interview and approval, rediculous amounts of PPE while riding...the list goes on
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1713 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  2:57 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by AF Cruiser

Interesting to hear the challenges the Corps is going through. I'm stationed at Hurlburt Field, FL and the Air Force makes it's people jump through a thousand hoops before you're allowed to ride on base. Two different certifications, commander interview and approval, rediculous amounts of PPE while riding...the list goes on

My hunch is that the required gear is just normal and typical. Possibly less than what I would consider necesary. For example a full face helmet, and overpants. What is required that is "rediculous"?
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AF Cruiser

Welcome to the site! I'm glad to hear about the hoops for riding on base and the required PPE. Thank you for your service AF Cruiser!
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  5:41 PM
quote:

Let me add my thanks for your service,.

When the services discovered they were losing more young men on motorcycle wrecks state side then they were in battle zones around the world serious steps were taken. It may seem like hoops to you but it is really because someone cares and does not want to lose you to a MC wreck.

Thanks
Jerry
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  8:25 PM
Welcome and thank you for your service.

I too am curious about the required gear. As a safety site we favor and encourage protective clothing which includes lower body protection. I am also curious about the commander interview. Anything you would care to share would be appreciated.

Riding is a risky activity and we try to reduce that risk in a variety of ways. Please read the safety tips, in red at the upper right hand side of the page. Feel free to ask questions and to contribute your perspective to any of the threads.

Again welcome, thank you for your service, and I look forward to your active participation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05