(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 The Best Exercise
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1467 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  12:55 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I suppose anyone who's been involved with a particular sport or exercise over the years is likely to think that they've chosen the "best" one... with the exception of the ones that left a permanent injury that maybe wasn't really worth it.

(Actually, today the best one is the one you'll actually do, and find either pleasant or tolerable enough to make it a habit.)

The results of a 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, showed that the only physical activity to offer any protection against dementia and Alzheimer's is dancing. (New England Journal of Medicine)

"It's easy for you to say," if you haven't ever taken a dance class, or if it's been ages since you tried to dance. But there are all kinds, tempos, and levels of dancing, and dancing frequently can reduce your risks of dementia by 76%!

"The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use," says Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist.

When I could finally go back to dancing after two back surgeries, I felt that I was really 'normal' again, even if it was a new normal. It's like motorcycling in a mental sense, in that I don't (and can't) think about anything else but my immediate surroundings/actions, and try to anticipate what's coming up in the next few seconds, after having planned a general route or sense of when a turn is coming.

Here's a link to a dozen (young, trim) women doing the dance that my class worked out this morning, to huge satisfaction. We've spent parts of class working on it for the past three weeks, so you can see it's not something for a beginner, but we were all beginners about a year ago.

And don't listen to people who say line dancing isn't 'really' exercise. It's not Dancing with the Stars, but that's mainly because we have better sense than to wear those costumes.

I once taught my assignment in an MSF instructor prep class on shifting gears by having everyone do foot tapping in class together, so this actually could have an application to riding motorcycles.

Cash

ScooterCommuter
Male Junior Member
52 Posts

Saint Paul, MN
USA

Kymco

Xciting 500RI

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  7:24 PM
Do you waltz, Cash? If so, I'd gladly partner you for a pass (in the middle of the evening - Jim gets the privilege of the first and last ;) )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05