(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Are All Of These Courses Available In Your State?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  9:25 AM                       Like
Courses

Idaho STAR offers courses for every level of rider. Courses are designed to grow rider skills and abilities to safely and effectively navigate today?s roads on a motorcycle or scooter. Whether you are new to the sport or have ridden thousands of miles, we have a course that will challenge you and enhance your riding ability. To view specific course offerings, select a course from the list below.

Introduction to Riding
Basic I
Basic II
Experienced
Braking Skills Practice
Cornering Skills Practice
Precision Riding Clinic
Sidecar/Trike

Not sure what course is for you?

http://idahostar.org/courses

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  9:37 AM
Virginia is an MSF state though it may be switching to the BRT based program in Idaho if the current regime has its way. Currently in Northern Virginia we have the following (outside of the military specific classes like the MSRC, and Advanced Cornering Clinic)

1.) JumpStart- a prep for the BRC. It spends more time on skills learned in exercise 1-4 of the BRC to build the core foundation of motorcycle motor skills.
2.) BRC
3.) BRC II
4.) Total Control Advanced Riding Course
5.) MSF Street Rider Course
6.) MRC (Saddleupva.com) Advanced Skills Course
7.) MRC (Saddleupva.com) Expert Skills Camp
8.) MRC (Saddleupva.com) Seat Time & Individual Skills course- one on one.
9.) MSF Dirt Bike Course
10.) Evergreen Safety Council Basic Sidecar/Trike course
11.) Ride like a pro
12.) Stayin Safe- Advanced Rider Training

In the rest of the state we have more advanced dirt bike courses, Adventure bike courses and track courses.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  10:46 AM
Here in PA the state program only has four offerings. The program is run by the MSF through the PAMSP.

BRC
BRC2
ARC
3WBRC

I think the number of offerings is limited due to funding. All classes are free of charge to PA residents.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1713 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  10:52 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Connecticut last year required passing the MSF course as the sole method of attaining a motorcycle endorsement. A regular drivers license is required first. The courses are given at local community colleges, but only BRC and ERC are offered.

I know a fellow with a trike for disability reasons. He can't get an endorsement because they don't offer classes for trikes, and he can't use his on their range. I suggested to him that he make issue of this in respect to ADA law.

Costs add up when you figure need a regular license first, then $40 for written and eye test, $200 for the course, then another $30 to add the M endorsement. A number of CT dealers have close their doors. Naturally the economy is the largest reason, but the licensing, and waiting for a spot in a class can't be helping.

In the meanwhile, I see nothing that CT offers that I would like to enroll in.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  1:05 PM
quote:
Connecticut last year required passing the MSF course as the sole method of attaining a motorcycle endorsement.

This was under discussion here last year until I pointed out to the DMV officials what it would require in the way of new ranges, motorcycles, classrooms and instructors to make it a reality.
Go to Top of Page

CaptCrash
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Nampa, ID
USA

Honda

Phantom

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  7:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TonicBIA

Virginia is an MSF state though it may be switching to the BRT based program in Idaho if the current regime has its way.

Hey. Competition hones both blades!
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  6:01 AM
Gymnast:
In Nebraska, all 10 training sites are privately operated so all courses are not offered at all sites but here is what is available. Each site charges what the local market will bear. Prices range from $25 for the IME to $295 for a Rider's Edge BRC. These are all MSF or MSF based courses. When offered at Offutt AFB, the courses are free for uniformed military students courtesy of the USAF.

IME - Introductory Motorcycle Expereience
BRC
SBRC - Scooter BRC
3WBRC - Three Wheel BRC
BRC2
ARC - Advanced RiderCourse
MSRC - Military Sportbike RiderCourse

Dave

Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  7:04 AM
quote:
1.) JumpStart- a prep for the BRC. It spends more time on skills learned in exercise 1-4 of the BRC to build the core foundation of motorcycle motor skills.
Three of the lists posted contained a course prior to the BRC. When I took the BRC no such offering was available in my area (I asked). I took a few private lessons prior to the BRC because quite frankly I had a misunderstanding of the BRC. I assumed that the students would all have recent prior riding experience (10 out of 12 did) and I did not want to go in "rusty".

A few questions come to mind about these prequels.

1- How long have these courses been offered?
2- Duration?
3- Required (prerequisite to the BRC)?
4- Cost relative to the BRC?
5- Class time / saddle time breakdown?
6- If you are a rider coach - can you see a difference between those that have taken them and those that have not (unfair question since there are so many variables but ...)?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05