(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 The Get Your Motor Running Chat Forum
 How do I protect my dog from being attacked by other dogs?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

johncrosby
Male Senior Member
256 Posts

Sevenoaks, Kent
United Kingdom

BMW

GSA 90 Anniversary

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  8:48 AM                       Like
This is totally non biking related and just something I wanted to share.

I have a beautiful Hungarian Vizsla dog called Honey. She's 4 years old and is large medium sized, or small large dog. She's incredibly tame, wonderful with children and is a big softy.

I went to the park yesterday and on leaving after an hour of walking and running, I spot an older Collie wandering towards us. I am immediately wary, can't see an owner and just instinctively think the dog looks odd.

As he approaches my silly dog goes into max playful mode, head down, back arched up, paws forward. Unfortunately the other dog walks round her slowly and then to my horror proceeds to bite her on her back and then again on her spine. I'd been playing tennis so wave my racket around to stop any further attacks. He wanders off. Honey yelped and screamed when it happened.

For those none dog owners this is a very traumatic experience for both owner and the poor dog. We do treat and feel emotionally that they are full members of the family.

This totally unprovoked attack was the first we've ever suffered that ended up in biting. Collies/Sheep dogs for some unknown reason do not like my dog. Never understood why as she gets on well with almost all other breeds.

Honey will recover but it's left me terrified to go to the park. I just don't know how to stop it happening again.

The owner eventually turned up, couldn't really care less, mumbled something about his dog (that should not have been off lead and on its own) being ill. His attitude disgusted me and I got very, very angry before walking off. He followed me then started screaming at me for daring to complain.

I've never been in a fight in my life and didn't intend to start then. Just wanted to get home, make sure Honey was ok, disinfected and get her to the vet to get treatment. He physically was stopping me moving which is technically an assault.

I calmed him down by saying something unexpected (an old trick to put aggressive people off) and then left asap. I know where he lives (right on the park unfortunately) which makes me doubly unwilling to go back.

I don't know how useful are the police near you, but unless you're bleeding or have witnesses our Police don't want to know.

I'm now thinking of pepper spray, an anti dog sound alarm gadget, or anti dog citrus spray. I don't know if any of these things work.

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
745 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  10:18 AM
My wife had a similar, though more traumatic experience a few years ago with our German Shepherd Dave. She was walking him at a park when a young couple with a Pit Bull were there. The Pit was off leash and he charged and attacked Dave and my wife. Both were bitten pretty badly, though not life threatening. Pam called the 911 (she needed to go to the hospital) and the police showed up too - the Pit was quarantined to make sure it didn't have rabies, and the owners were cited for failure to maintain control of their animal. There was a court hearing to determine what would happen with the dog. In Texas, U.S.A. there is a 3 bite/incident law that says (or said at the time) that 3rd bite and the dog is immediately put down as vicious. This dog was listed as a "biter" and had to be registered as such. The owner paid a hefty fine (and all our med and vet bills) and the dog was released after 2 weeks.

Anyway, my point was to say that if you were attacked by a dog running loose, you should contact law enforcement and file a report. Since you know that your dog is playful and inviting to other dogs, keep a wide eye out for other dogs when walking and avoid getting within range of them. And keep your tennis racket handy to put in the face of any attacking or threatening animals.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  12:52 PM
My golden retriever was attacked by a dog about his size at a dog day care center. Ever since, he will attack any dog around his size that approaches him. It's really a shame as he was outstanding before that with humans and animals. At least he is still great with people as no person has ever harmed him. Since dogs usually tend to approach first then act suddenly after, pepper spray will usually not work as you can't use it "just in case". It would be good for dogs running and snarling starting from a ways off.
Go to Top of Page

aa6vh
Male Standard Member
165 Posts

Oxnard, CA
USA

Suzuki

Burgman 650

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  9:56 AM
I have two small dogs (~10lbs) that are playful, and very naive. I am concerned that they could easily be seriously hurt by a larger attacking dog. I therefore treat any unleashed dog that is approaching as hostile, and I try to take precautionary actions.

I carry a personal tazer, and have in the past carried pepper spray. Unfortunately, unless its ready, the time it takes to pull out and deploy the tazer/pepper spray may be too long, and the damage to one of my dogs already done. And I am not sure how effective either one would be. The tazer has to be in full contact with the dog (hard to do when the dogs are bouncing around), and the pepper spray has to be sprayed into the dogs eyes and nose in order to be effective.

I am considering getting one of those personal alarms (130db siren the size of a car remote), thinking that the sudden loud noise may break up the attack long enough to do something else. And they are easily activated.

What do you carry to defend your dog? Unfortunately, carrying a baseball bat, though probably effective, would be illegal around here, unless I could prove I was heading to a baseball field. (And CCW is not an option in my state.)
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  11:07 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Actually, in light of the recent Peruta decision in the 9th circuit, CCW in CA is an option. But that really isn't an issue in this case. You mention the damage that would be done in the time it would take to deploy a taser or pepper spray, which can be be carried openly...it would take just as long, or longer, to get to a concealed handgun with much more risk to bystanders. Tasers and pepper spray are immediate area, close proximity defensive tools whereas a bullet can travel over great distances with potentially lethal results...not to mention the legalities involved with discharging a weapon, whether it was a justified discharge or not. Shooting at two animals that are fighting (one of them being yours) gives you a 50% chance of killing your own pet instead of causing it temporary discomfort by opting for a less-than-lethal alternative.

As difficult as it is, take your emotions out of the decision and use your logic in making defensive weapon decisions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05