(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 One stop shopping for GPS/Phone/Radar... Mounts
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

wadenelson
Male New Member
13 Posts

durango, CO
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  1:27 PM                       Like
These guys have every mount under the sun.

A Wizard lets you input your bike and what you want to hang off it.

They've got mounts for Concours Bimmers & other bikes that DONT have round handlebars to hang stuff of.

http://www.powersportsus.com/default.asp

They're small, family owned, good prices, and excellent service.

AaronC
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Honda

1984 Magna vf700c

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  12:17 PM
Nice. Having a GPS available for unknown places is always nice...especially not having to pull over and dig through my pockets to verify I'm still going the right way.
Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
117 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

BMW

R 1200 RT

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  12:49 PM
I have just returned from an 8 day trip (7 days riding, one non-ride day) that covered 1940 miles of Oregon, Nevada, California. I'll get a link to a trip report posted in a few days I hope. This was done on a 2012 V-Strom 650.

I used a Garmin GPS with a RAM mount centered low in the windshield area. I could not justify an insanely expensive "motorcycle GPS" so just used a simple GPS from Costco targeted to automobiles and around $150.

The GPS worked well for me, though on the last day gave problems which seems to be related to the power cord. Investigation of that yet to take place. I powered the GPS and also cell phone with a 2-port USB outlet permanently wired into the bike.

I would say that the GPS was very important on the trip as I used secondary roads almost entirely and without the GPS would have been making many stops to double check directions. I have used the GPS in the past as a simple "moving map" but on this trip I was using it to make navigation decisions and appreciated this accessory immensely.

My only complaint about the Garmin "Nuvi" line of GPS units is that they require a special USB cable in order to operate as a GPS. If you plug a standard cable in them they switch to "computer mode". Why they did not just use a screen menu to make the switch to computer mode I cannot imagine.
Go to Top of Page

AaronC
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Honda

1984 Magna vf700c

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  4:14 PM
An Android device with a hardware GPS will provide free turn by turn navigation through Google Navigate (integrated with the maps app) and if you don't want to use your data, you can use the GPS with some free offline maps (I have Be-On-Road), though they do take up some space.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  7:46 PM
http://www.expressmounts.com/

is another resource.

I have a Garmin 855 refurbished by Garmin... under $100, and it has been very helpful.... and with the built in MP3. it is entertaining
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05