(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Theme
 Bitcoins
 Tethers
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17396 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  6:17 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I mentioned what I thought was the real breakthrough relative to bitcoins - the blockchain technology - in another post on this site yesterday.

In that post I suggested that the blockchain technology could be used to provide payment system (money transfer) services for more than simply bitcoins. For example, US Dollars, rather than bitcoins.

Typically, beyond investing or trading, people buy bitcoins in order to transfer value from one place to another, anywhere in the world, within about one hour and with virtually no cost. That has worked extremely well and is extremely safe with no middlemen of any kind involved (like bank tellers, wire transfer agents, brokers, dealers, etc.), each of whom require a payment for their services and, thus, makes the process of funds transfer expensive. (And time consuming - like two or three days in the case of wire transfers.)

I was invited to join a new beta test today. The company, Tether.to, has just begun testing a new capability that utilizes the bitcoin blockchain - the transfer of US Dollars, Euros, and Japanese Yen.

It does it by representing each of those currencies with a token (call it a coin if you will) called a Tether that is tied DIRECTLY to that currency on a one-for-one basis. In other words, 1 USD+ (US Dollar Tether) is worth EXACTLY one US Dollar.

So, there is no market volatility risk while the funds are in transit.

Let me explain that ... To transfer, say, $1,000 from one person to another using bitcoins, the sender must first buy $1,000 worth of bitcoins. Then transfer those bitcoins using the blockchain. Then the recipient must sell the bitcoins for US Dollars to complete the transactions. But what is the result of a drop in bitcoin value during the hour it takes for the transfer to occur? The recipient loses money!

Now enter Tethers. To send $1,000 to someone, the sender needs to buy $1,000 of USD+ Tethers, then transfer them to the recipient who sells them back into US Dollars. And there is NO market volatility risk whatsoever as when the recipient receives his USD+ Tethers, they are and remain ALWAYS valued at $1,000 US Dollars.

It is coming to pass just as expected.

AMJIce
Male Standard Member
124 Posts

Laguna Hills, CA
USA

Suzuki

DL650K9

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  2:46 PM
Interesting!

As an aside, how does the company stay in business -- do they realize a profit from this "service"?
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17396 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  4:51 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I confess that I have not yet figured out their business model.

It's possible that after the beta test they will begin requiring a transaction fee, but as of now the only fee is the bitcoin transaction fee of about $0.02, none of which is retained by Tether.to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05