(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 The Get Your Motor Running Chat Forum
 Unfair Political Environment at Workplace
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Arnold
Male Standard Member
176 Posts

Santa Monica, CA
USA

Kawasaki

KZ1000

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  3:19 PM                       Like
I have been working at my current job for eight years now. I relocated to California and stayed with the company when I did. Last week, they promoted an employee who has only been there TWO YEARS and who is younger than me as well. He will now be my SUPERVISOR. This is the THIRD time this company has promoted someone on some crazy fast track for NO REASON besides POLITICS.

Now I realize that most of you are thinking I may have grounds for a lawsuit, but I am not that type of person. The thought indeed crossed my mind, but I think there are too many lawsuits as it is. I am trying to figure out how a company can justify doing something that in my opinion should be ILLEGAL.

Just to recap, I've been a loyal employee for eight years now. I have NEVER been late to work except a few times which were not my fault when I lived in Chicago and there were winter storms/traffic jams. I have not started any conflicts, I treat everyone with respect, even the people in the warehouse. I do my job diligently, rarely ask for time off and behave in a professional manner.

Yes, there have been some bumps in the road (not my fault) during this time. I had a problem with one of the supervisors a few years back which lead to an argument and some less than professional behavior on both of our part. Again, this was really not my fault as my hand was forced in the situation. Fortunately, the situation fixed itself because he had to leave for medical reasons.

Bottom line, there is a group of workers and bosses who collude together, they get drinks after work, and the other employees are sycophants who get treated with favoritism for no reason. I am not at work to play games - I am not interested in a bunch of BS - I am there to work not make friends. You would think the owners would appreciate this but instead I find myself on the outside fighting an uphill battle. And now someone who has been there TWO YEARS IS MY BOSS. Well he won't be getting much cooperation from me. Why? Because it hasnt worked in the past.

Do I have a legal recourse? If not, what is the best way to handle this? How do I make them realize they should hire me for the position? Should I just quit?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  4:04 PM
I would move on, but don't leave your current job until you've found the next one. I've found job changes to be a good opportunity for personal growth.
Go to Top of Page

Arnold
Male Standard Member
176 Posts

Santa Monica, CA
USA

Kawasaki

KZ1000

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  4:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I would move on, but don't leave your current job until you've found the next one. I've found job changes to be a good opportunity for personal growth.

Thank you Scott. As usual, your advice is spot-on.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  1:04 AM
I understand feeling upset about that situation. Under the most ideal of circumstances, you might win a battle (legally) to straighten it out and then end up feeling like you won but really were not wanted or valued.

Others that got moved up either "play the game" or are valued for some other reasons that involve personal relationships or even their age and as wrong as that is, this situation and the fact they don't value your qualities and loyalty may be a loud and clear signal they don't or shouldn't make the grade As Your Employer.

IOW, as suggested, look for other options then Fire Them. You may be starting out a few steps backwards at another organization but your drive and spirit in the positive realm will take you farther in important ways.

If you do leave, you'd likely get some satisfaction by knowing other's there realize your absence tells them something about the organization and it's direction. Long term quality employees who leave put the company in an awkward position to explain it officially and the rumor mill really tears them up. It's not a positive situation for them.
I left a company in 1992 rather than 'take them on' and within a year or so, another employee was 'let go'. That told me they came to their senses about the who and what and I felt elated in that sense of vindication, both personally and publicly.
All the other employees including a dozen branch office co-workers seen the light. No regrets.

Edited by - bachman1961 on 08/09/2015 1:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Horse
258 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  2:24 PM
You may not like the question I'm about to ask, but stick with it for a moment.

Q: Are you really actually better suited to the supervisor role than the newer employee?

I'm trying to look at this from the management side. If they see you as 'great employee and worker' (at current task) rather than 'potentially great manager', then perhaps that's why the new[er] guy got promotion? Simply, the company's job is to make money for the owners/shareholders, so they will make decisions on that basis.

So what's important to you? Is it kudos or cash? If the former, then look for another job, then tell them why (albeit politely - you never know when you'll need a reference). If it's cash, then have a formal discussion with your manager and explain that you are disappointed, had expected the higher position (ask how their decision was reached?), then state that you are a good, productive, employee and worth a higher rate.

Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  10:28 AM Follow poster on Twitter
I have been in your position before and I know how you feel. I opted to join the Navy instead of going to college after high school. This has left me in my late forties with no college degree and working for bosses who could be my kids. It's not always the best relationship because I know that I can work circles around most of them...but I usually just push those feelings aside and keep doing my job. I have been in a supervisory position before and...it's not all it's cracked up to be. If you all of a sudden become your buddy's boss, it can put you in a tight spot occasionally. Stop and think if this is something you want because you're the best candidate or if it's because of your pride and feeling that you "deserve it" because of your seniority.

I don't want to be the wet blanket but sometimes you need to step outside of yourself and look at the picture from someone else's point of view.

(Edited because, evidently, H. A. T. E. is a bad word in the forum's dictionary of Political Correctness.)
Go to Top of Page

Arnold
Male Standard Member
176 Posts

Santa Monica, CA
USA

Kawasaki

KZ1000

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  12:34 AM
It's a shame that as people's attention spans decrease, there will almost certainly be a decrease in forums like msgroup. Not only were everyone's replies engaging and well thought out, but every single person who posted gave me some food for thought. I'm not sure where else I could go on the internet to find this variety of replies.

This brief thread helped me with a problem at work (I am updating my resume and keeping my head down in the meantime), but it also gave me some hope for our future. I see such a terrible political environment, hatred in the world, lack of leadership, divisiveness and a sound bite culture. Every once in a while I am reminded that there are still decent human beings out there, like all of you who will take time out of their day to help a stranger with a problem.

Many thanks

AC

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05