(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Hello
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  5:14 AM                       Like
It's been years since my last visit. I'm glad to see you folks are still doing great work. I wish you all a safe and blessed new year.

tmoldovan
36 Posts

Lincoln, NE
USA

Honda

Shadow 750, ST1300

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  9:00 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Hello from Lincoln!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17333 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  9:19 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Hello back at you from Houston.

A lot of people here remain comfortable with this cold weather, but I'm freezing in the deep south. Thoughts of riding are far away.

I had a discussion with a friend yesterday where he said that autonomous vehicles will be everywhere within ten years and along with them will come restrictions on which roads can be traveled by motorcycles. I'm not so sure. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6922 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  9:52 AM
I still get out on the bike at least once a week here in California. Spent a week in Idaho recently and it feels almost tropical here by comparison (actually in the 50's).

As for autonomous vehicles, I don't believe a lot of the predictions of them taking over. Too many people driving older cars to change the rules of where people can drive. They're going to have to teach those self-driving cars to deal with US.

[Should this discussion be in a separate thread?]
Go to Top of Page

bricksrheavy
Male Standard Member
132 Posts

Europe
Croatia

Yamaha

FZ6

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

I had a discussion with a friend yesterday where he said that autonomous vehicles will be everywhere within ten years and along with them will come restrictions on which roads can be traveled by motorcycles. I'm not so sure. What do you think?

Not sure about the ten year timeframe but I am concerned that eventually the insurance cost of driving the car on your own (let alone riding a bike) vs an autonomous vehicle is gonna be to high to afford for your average person.

On the other hand, smart autonomous vehicles should make the roads safer for motorcyclists and reduce the number of accidents so looking at it from that perspective maybe the insurance rates won't skyrocket.
Go to Top of Page

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
200 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  1:07 PM
The autonomous cars need to be smarter before they'll be safer - witness the recent item where a rider was involved in a wreck where the car started to make a lane change, then decided it was a bad idea and returned to its original lane. The problem was that a motorcycle rider had decided to take the position that the car was vacating and was hit when the car returned. Until the car can anticipate such moves, and counter them, it will not be safe.
Go to Top of Page

tmoldovan
36 Posts

Lincoln, NE
USA

Honda

Shadow 750, ST1300

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  7:31 PM Follow poster on Twitter
I believe any technology that reduces/eliminates bad or distracted drivers will bode well for motorcyclists. (Imagine the roads without teens on cellphones, or distracted parents running late to daycare.)

I do see the point, if vast majority of the cars are autonomous and safe, the most unpredictable vehicles will be motorcycles under human control. I would support more stringent training and testing for motorcycle endorsements. Something like they do in Europe.

In the case of the autonomous car returning to its lane, I think the motorcyclist started to move into its spot, before it was safe to do so.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6922 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  10:03 PM
I'm still wondering how they will handle dirt roads or snow covered roads after a heavy snowfall.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05