(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 EuroRAP
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

JanK
Male Junior Member
85 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

R1200R

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  11:38 AM                       Like
I have just learnt of a very interesting programme. This is what they say in the documents:

quote:

About EuroRAP
The European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP) is an international not-for-profit organisation
dedicated to saving lives through safer roads.

It aims to:

- Reduce death and serious injury on Europe's roads through a systematic programme of risk assessment, identifying major safety shortcomings that can be addressed by practical road improvement measures;

- Ensure risk assessment lies at the heart of strategic decisions on route improvements, crash protection and standards of route management; and

- Forge partnerships between those responsible for a safe road system - motoring organisations, vehicle manufacturers and road authorities.

The work of EuroRAP is supported by the FIA Foundation for the Automobile and Society, iRAP, the motor industry, leading governments and the European Commission. Its Members are automobile and touring clubs, national and regional road authorities and researchers.

National governments, automobile clubs and associations, charities, the motor industry and institutions also support specific EuroRAP projects and encourage the transfer of research and technology. In addition, many individuals donate their time and expertise to support the organisation.

I've only started reading the documents. But one deliverable of the project is extremely interesting - an public interactive map of the roads, https://vida.irap.org/en-gb/home, where they are categorised according to danger (I don't yet know the criteria). An example for my country can be found at the address https://imgur.com/a/ge6Pm94.

The countries covered (that I can see with my public credentials) are: Albania,
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Montenegro, Netherlands, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.

Unfortunately, it is precisely the best roads that are the most dangerous, at least where I live...

bricksrheavy
Male Standard Member
132 Posts

Europe
Croatia

Yamaha

FZ6

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  3:33 AM
Oh boy, this doesn't look good - rode the completely black coastline section 2-3 times and I can see why it's so dangerous (endless blind corner after corner with excellent tarmac, "making" the rider push harder and harder, especially the locals who know the road by hart)

Don't get what the "Before/after SRIP implementation" means - are those recommended countermeasures or actually implemented ones?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05