(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3450 positive of 3832 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Improving roadway infrastructure
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

DataDan
Advanced Member
541 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  9:59 AM                       Like
Long ago when I signed up to download a copy of the MAIDS European motorcycle crash study, I got on a mailing list for FEMA, the Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations. Their newsletters often have information of interest wherever motorcycles are in use, not just Europe.

Today for example, they announced a position paper on roadway design, Improving Infrastructure Safety for Powered Two-Wheelers (16-page PDF). One topic in this paper is guardrails that are less dangerous to motorcyclists. California is looking at that too, specifically at this barrier.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6899 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  7:42 PM
Those look like they protect riders from sliding under them. What about what's on top?

I know along highway 160 along the Sacramento river between Antioch and Sacramento, if a rider were to hit the guardrail and slide along the top edge for any distance he would be torn into big chunks.

If you look at the roadway view here, you can see what those guardrails with the metal posts look like: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.249...13312!8i6656
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05