(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Slack-jawed
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17333 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  7:39 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Cash, her husband, and I went out for breakfast yesterday. As we got out of my car upon arriving at the restaurant, we observed two beautiful and beautifully maintained new Harley-Davidsons parked next to us, the riders already inside.

We got to a table and there they were, three motorcyclists, well groomed, wearing colors highlighting tours they had been on. The third rider had ridden there on another well tended Harley-Davidson, but it was a trike and parked a hundred feet away from the first two.

Nobody acknowledged anybody else - respecting everybody's personal space during the meal.

When we finished and got back to my car, the three motorcyclists were surrounding the two bikes and talking to each other. Cash decided to comment to one of them that "those are beautiful bikes".

The three guys lit up and became quite friendly and then one of them decided to 'get in role'. With a smile on his face, he asked Cash if she would like to go for a ride. Cash responded, "sorry, but I don't have a helmet." Well, it turns out that the rider who had invited her didn't have one either. So he insisted, again in a friendly manner, "You don't need a helmet. Come on, it will be fun."

We decided to remain civil and stay friendly. Absolutely no moralizing or 'teaching' would be offered. Instead, I said, "The lady has nearly 300,000 miles of experience riding motorcycles all over the country and I have over 500,000. We, together, have written a two-volume reference book on motorcycle safety and dynamics and we have a motorcycle oriented website that has had over 50 million visitors so far. And, oh yeah, I'm an expert witness specializing in motorcycle safety and dynamics with legal cases in both federal and state courts all over the country." I then handed the slack-jawed motorcyclist one of my business cards showing the website address, etc.

We smiled at each other, said "Ride safe", and got into my car and drove away.

I wonder what they talked about after we left?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6922 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  7:55 AM
When I was only riding in California I didn't encounter anybody without a helmet, although a few of the things people were wearing barely qualified. Now I'm in an area where helmets are not required. It appears that more than half of the riders here wear helmets anyway, though, unlike Utah where it seems to be only about one fourth.

I haven't had the helmet discussion yet with anybody around here, but when waving to other motorcyclists while out riding, I'll sometimes tap my helmet when passing someone without one. I don't know if that gets the point across or not.

When the helmet discussion finally does happen, I'll just explain how I've been saved twice from scraping up my face by wearing a full face helmet. Then I'll go off into the things I'm doing to reduce that chances of their being a third time - study and practice.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17333 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  8:05 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Almost everybody wears a helmet of some kind here in Texas, though there are a few that insist that a dew-rag is enough.

I've quit engaging in the wear a helmet debate - it was always unproductive. That's probably because of my debating style.

I can't tell you the number of times that I'd wished I was carrying my piece of evidence with me and simply showed it.

Thirty MPH dismount, no helmet (or any other safety gear), face plant.

Broken wrist and broken fingers on the right hand - and brains spread out three-feet in front of the rider.

Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
11 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  10:48 AM
My wife and I wear full gear all the time, it's our choice. I respect others who may have made a different choice. Usually they leave me alone about me wearing my gear, and I leave them alone about the lack of riding gear they have chosen. In the very few times when they wanted to engage about riding gear, I made it simple and clear my choice is my choice.

When I ride with the sport bike kids, although it may not be the best gear, they all have full face and some other protection, most of them are ATGATT. When I ride with the cruisers, many of them are no helmet, fingerless gloves, and sleeveless. Their choice. I'm more concerned with how a rider drives, rather than what they wear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05