(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Fundamentals
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  8:59 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I had a discussion a few days ago with an attorney who was not a motorcyclist. Because of that lack of experience, the attorney was not able to grasp some of the essentially obvious realities we all take for granted. He, for example, insisted that bigger bikes, because they are heavier, must be more difficult to balance when riding in curves. His thoughts were about balance instead of steering - believe me when I tell you that a discussion about counter-steering would have been inappropriate.

In any event, that discussion got me to thinking about even more fundamental concepts, things that beginners need to know before they put a leg over a saddle and climb on.

We talked about basic rider training. And, being an attorney, he wanted to know about accidents and injuries during training.

When I told him that just as it has always been, the most common accident and injury scenario during training was dropping a slow moving (or stopped) motorcycle and ending up partially under it with resulting leg injuries (and/or ground impact damage to knees, hands, shoulders, etc.).

He said that he could understand that - it was obvious. But then he wanted to know what the MSF was doing to minimize those instances.

DAMN! I've tried so many times to get the MSF to do SOMETHING in that regard, always without success. As far as I know, and I confess that maybe things have changed in the last few years that I don't know about, but I think that the MSF STILL FAILS to teach newbies how to avoid being injured if they drop a motorcycle on its side.

Of the hundreds of 'Safety Tips' I've written over the last couple of decades the seventh one I wrote is one of the most popularly read on this site. I'm perfectly willing to let the MSF use or distribute that article, without even mentioning my name - free and without any restrictions of any kind! But I've worked so many legal cases that the power of insurance companies is not unknown to me so my guess is that even if the MSF wanted to try to minimize those injuries in its classes (I'm sure they do!), fear of possible liabilities prevents them from doing so.

So, in case you want to refresh your understanding, here is a bit of fundamental instruction that makes it clear:
Tip#007.

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
198 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  10:55 AM
I took the MSF course almost 15 years ago and I seem to recall they told us if the bike is going to go down we were to just let it, make sure we kept our leg out from underneath the bike, and to step off as the bike contacted the ground. They emphasised keeping our leg out from underneath the bike...
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1468 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  12:56 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The 'secret' that seems to be overlooked is that you must let go of the lower grip before it drags you to the ground, Simple and obvious, but unless it's pointed out to you BEFORE the first time you drop it, it's too late to learn it on the way to the ground.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05