(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 'Good advice'?
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  3:22 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Some of you may remember that my riding partner, Cash, when she began riding her own bike, experienced fear when riding over very high bridges.

Always wanting to be helpful, I made a suggestion to her and called it good advice: "Just close your eyes!"

Yep, she was the rider, not a co-rider, at the time. Yep, she ignored my advice. (Thankfully)

So, tomorrow morning on her 70th birthday, Cash is getting on a very, very high bridge and jumping off it. Well, it isn't a bridge, it's an airplane. She's decided to take up skydiving!!!

Our administrator here, Vladimir, is an experienced skydiver and has convinced her that the practice is safer than riding motorcycles. He's probably right.

My advice to her: "Just close your eyes!"

Wish her well.

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
117 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

BMW

R 1200 RT

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  3:58 PM
My hat (helmet?) is off to someone with a fear of heights making a jump. I am guessing this will be a tandem jump so some freefall time to enjoy the view from above.

My first jump was static line so I had to climb out on my own. As soon as the door opened and I heard the sound and felt the wind my brain told me this was nuts and I should stay in the plane. But due to the repetitive training on the ground I followed commands and got out on the strut and let go when instructed. I have 100 jumps and enjoyed it. But a lot of standing around time compared to time in the air.

Follow up with a post to let us know how Cash enjoyed the jump.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  4:16 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yes. it's a tandem jump. I hear it's from 13,000 feet.

I'll let you know and will give her your support.
Go to Top of Page

DataDan
Advanced Member
567 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  8:16 PM
Good luck, Cash. You'll never get me to jump out of one of those things. And I'm still weeks away from 70.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  12:30 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yesterday it was low cloud cover, today it was high winds.

Cash's jump is rescheduled for this coming Friday.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
Starting Member
9 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  2:39 PM
My first freefall jump was in a stripped out (to save weight) civilian Cessna 172, and I couldn't hardly wait to get out of that rattle trap, and I'm also a pilot with thousands of hours in little Cessna's and other fixed wings!

It's worth waiting for a good day, clear skies and low winds, especially for her first jump. Good Luck Cash and have an enjoyable flight.

I'll bet you a dozen donuts, when your feet are on the ground, and as soon as you unhook from the instructor, you will be ready to go again!!

Go to Top of Page

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
198 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  5:45 PM
I've got somewhere around 25 static line jumps, and I got paid to do them! Of course we carried a ton of stuff with us, and there were a lot of us in the air at the same time! Now I'm content to let others pay to do it - the Army doesn't want me any more...
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  7:51 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Friday was heavy rains - another delay.

It seems that the soonest Cash will be able to 'jump into the wind' will be early January.

I think part of the excitement is one delay after another.
Go to Top of Page

Vlad
Male Administrator
8 Posts

Rijeka, PG
Croatia

Honda

CBX 500XA

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  6:19 AM
I also remember long waits for my first jump, the weather, than the plane maintenance, then weather again, plus usually it is doable only on weekends. I had at least 3-4 months of wait :)
While waiting for it to happen you do it many times in your head,
so when it gets to happen you are kind of experienced with less stress as you already done it :)
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05