(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3453 positive of 3835 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 In need of filtered riding earplugs
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BillSourpatch
Male Starting Member
-1 Posts

Idaho Falls, Idaho
USA

Yamaha

FZ6 S2

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  10:59 PM                       Like
I'm Willie from Idaho and I'm in need of custom earplugs like this one I found in a YouTube video by this brand called Big Ear.I'm open to other recommendations.

Here's the link to the video.
https://www.bigearinc.com/the-best-...w-to-choose/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqsVbelgfgA

Thanks!

Edited by - BillSourpatch on 10/01/2019 11:06 PM

JanK
Male Junior Member
89 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

R1200R

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  4:18 PM
I wear custom earplugs by Neuroth and an very satisfied, but they are a European company and, AFAIK, are not present in the US.

If you have a choice, choose silicone over acrylic. They are slightly harder to insert, due to higher friction, but they are much more comfortable.

Additionally, since the shape of your ear canal changes slightly with the state of hydration, the hard acrylic earplugs sometimes do not fit as well and let some noise leak in around the edges. This probably depends on the shape of your canal.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  8:46 PM
Is there some reason why foam earplugs won't work for you?

I've tried a lot of different earplugs. I even had some custom made for me at a motorcycle show. They worked well for cutting out lower frequency sounds, but didn't work so well at the higher frequency sounds like wind noise. You know, the one thing you most need protection from. I even went back the next year to the same motorcycle show and had them "adjusted". Didn't help.

I've been through several boxes of 200 pairs of foam earplugs and am currently using 3M E-A-Rsoft SuperFit plugs that best meet my needs. They cut the sounds enough to protect me, but I can still hear important sounds, and they feel good all day long.

If you didn't live way over on the other side of the state, I would be happy to give you a few pairs to try out.
Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
118 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

BMW

R 1200 RT

Posted - 11/11/2019 :  9:54 AM
I settled on "Howard Leight by Honeywell Max Lite Low Pressure Disposal Foam Earplugs". You can get 200 pair packaged in individual bags for $15 from Amazon. I use a new set each day I ride.

Important: If you use foam earplugs watch the Youtube video on how to insert them. It may seem obvious how to use them but proper insertion makes a BIG difference in comfort and effectiveness.

If you do a Google search for "howard leight ear plugs samples" you will find the main web page for them. You can request samples and you will get a pair of everything - enough to do a lot of riding and see what you like. As you are not directing the take off of fighter jets you will likely find, as I did, that the most comfortable ones for you are fine to reduce wind noise.

I did try custom molded ear plugs many years ago. Did not find them all that comfortable. They may have improved by now.
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05