(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3453 positive of 3835 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Tires - how much time is too much
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

acrucifer
Male Standard Member
154 Posts

carmel, new york
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard C50T

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  2:38 PM                       Like
A friend of mine
Recently bought a used 2002 suzuki intruder. The tires on it are 9 years but have good tread on them. I am concerned they are no longer sticky and should be replaced. I have been a member here for 14 years and I remember an old post, I think from Mr. Davis about 7 years being the maximum amount of time you should ride on a tire that has adequate tread because of this loss of stickiness due to the rubber on the tire hardening, degrading and losing its sticky properties . Could someone please point me to the post and confirm this. Thanks be safe, be well, stay sane. Ralph.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  6:27 AM
Nine years is too old for a motorcycle tire. Replace them.

My last motorcycle purchase, last summer, was a 1997 Honda with tires that were 12 and 13 years old. Made in 2006 and 2007. I replaced them as soon as I could because I couldn't really trust them for cornering or braking.

Here's a photo of the date codes:
Go to Top of Page

acrucifer
Male Standard Member
154 Posts

carmel, new york
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard C50T

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  7:03 AM
Thanks Scott. I appreciate your reply. My friend is asking his biker friends about his 9 year old tires because he doesnt want to spend the money and he is new to riding. They are telling him not to worry about it as long as he has tread. Hasnt taken the BRC yet although I have provided him with a link to this site. Ok. Thanks again and Be well.

quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Nine years is too old for a motorcycle tire. Replace them.

My last motorcycle purchase, last summer, was a 1997 Honda with tires that were 12 and 13 years old. Made in 2006 and 2007. I replaced them as soon as I could because I couldn't really trust them for cornering or braking.

Here's a photo of the date codes:

Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
17 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  2:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by acrucifer

My friend is asking his biker friends about his 9 year old tires because he doesnt want to spend the money and he is new to riding. They are telling him not to worry about it as long as he has tread.

I've run into a lot of riders that feel the same way, if it has tread, ride it. I put so many miles on my tires seldom reach 2 years old between the 3 bikes, but I would still change them when they reached 5 years old.
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05