(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Deciding Factor When Buying a Bike
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  9:14 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Please select what you consider to be the ONE deciding factor when you buy a motorcycle. For example, if you were looking at several new motorcycles, all priced the same, all the same color, all with the same performance, all with good service/support, would the brand be the deciding factor?

Yes, I know this is a fantasy question, but I'm trying to find our collective hot buttons here.

Thom Thumb

Results:
Brand   [50%] 12 votes 
Color   [0%] 0 votes 
Cost   [17%] 4 votes 
Dealer   [8%] 2 votes 
Fuel Economy   [4%] 1 votes 
Performance   [13%] 3 votes 
Service/Support/ Warranty (i.e. size of dealer network, length of warranty)   [4%] 1 votes 
Wife/Husband Likes It   [4%] 1 votes 
= Guests (4 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 24 counted  »»   Last Vote: 11/23/2006 5:03 AM 

Edited by - Thom Thumb on 11/17/2006 9:16 AM

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  10:26 AM
I did not place a vote on the pole, mainly because for me, anything that I would consider a major purchase, I would never make a decision on based on one single factor. But, usually with anything you buy, especially a major item with several factors to consider, some will be more important than others, so you need to weight them to give more significance to those that are most important to you.

If there are no differences between models being considered, such as they are all the same color, same price, at the same dealer, then those would not even be factors to consider, even if they were very important factors to you. So, then you have to look at other differences that might not be as important to you. Then, where there are differences that you consider important, how much is the difference. Is it a slight difference or a great difference. Use the amount of the difference and apply your weighting factor and you can come up with an overall rating to use as a comparison. Leave your emotions at home and buy what is the best bike for your needs taking everything into consideration.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  4:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by don_hud

I did not place a vote on the pole, mainly because for me, anything that I would consider a major purchase, I would never make a decision on based on one single factor. But, usually with anything you buy, especially a major item with several factors to consider, some will be more important than others, so you need to weight them to give more significance to those that are most important to you.

If there are no differences between models being considered, such as they are all the same color, same price, at the same dealer, then those would not even be factors to consider, even if they were very important factors to you. So, then you have to look at other differences that might not be as important to you. Then, where there are differences that you consider important, how much is the difference. Is it a slight difference or a great difference. Use the amount of the difference and apply your weighting factor and you can come up with an overall rating to use as a comparison. Leave your emotions at home and buy what is the best bike for your needs taking everything into consideration.

+1 on that..however the meaty pricetags on Harleys turned me away..I had to find a ricer for cheaper...so I looked for one that had a "harley" look to it...once I found one in my price range the rest of the things come into play
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  6:43 PM
I chose performance. That seemed closest to what would be most important to me. I would state it more as function/utility. Performance conjurs up more of an image of speed, etc. All are factors, though.
Go to Top of Page

ksuguy
Male Senior Member
366 Posts

Wichita, KS
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  8:57 PM
They are all important. However, the first thing I look at is seat height. I'm pretty tall, and most bikes are simply too short for me.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  9:20 AM
I also ducked the options given. For me, fit, function, and most importantly, that "I" like it.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  9:49 AM
Let me tell you a story . . .

When I bought Piglet, I knew what brand I wanted, so brand equalled non-issue. The dealers in my area are sister companies, so they're pretty much the same for price and service - again, non-issue. Hog Mama Sandy just wanted some Harley boots - she got 'em. The color choices for Sportster 883s were Electric Blue (ick), Black (somber), Silver (boring), or Sierra Red (which I like, and which was the deciding factor in my purchase).

Sure you weigh all those other things carefully. But you know in your heart-of-hearts that when all the logic-side stuff is considered, and it's time to write a check, the emotion side of your brain will tell if you really want the bike. Are you strong enough to admit it?

TT

Go to Top of Page

llbcsbiggs
Female Standard Member
223 Posts
[Mentor]

San Diego, CA
USA

Honda

Reflex

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:53 AM
None of the above. We chose ours on the basis of the fact that it had an automatic transmission and anti-lock brakes.
Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  7:50 PM
I went with warranty. My bike comes with a 2 year warranty and you can buy an additional 4 years for about $400.

I want to change the oil on my bike, buy new tires and brake pads and not have to worry about paying for anything unexpected. For 6 years I don't have to worry about any unexpected expenses.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  6:36 PM
I did not respond to the poll (sorry I missed it) however I researched rider reviews a lot before I bought mine. My list probably went like this

affordability
safety features
rideability comfort
looks (I like a lotta shiny stuff to polish)
performance
maintenance costs

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  6:52 PM
This one must have come through when I was in Hawaii in the middle of November, which would be why I missed it.

There should be a category for "gotta have it", although I'm not sure I could define exactly what that means. The few new bikes that I've bought, plus the last used one that I bought were definitely in that category. It's some combination of looks and performance, where color is part of looks. It's a sort of lusting after a particular bike. Maybe someone else can help me define this a bit better.

The first bike that I "had to have" was a 1984 Yamaha RZ-350 in Kenny Roberts Yellow. The bike had probably been out six months or more before I had convinced myself to buy one in July of 1984. After three years, I had to get rid of that bike, before I hurt myself or lost my license.

The next bike I just had to have was the red Ducati Monster. I had read about them for several years, but it wasn't until I was seriously trying to figure out what bike I wanted that I finally saw one in person and knew that it was the bike "I just had to have". I checked with six different dealers before I found a red one like I wanted, and had to travel 160 miles to go pick it up. I had no idea at the time that I would soon become addicted to the brand.

The last one that I "just had to have" was the Ducati 888 Superbike. I spent years collecting photos of them and learning about them before the right one came on the market at a time when I had enough money to actually buy it. I had only ever seen one other one in person.

In all three cases, it was a particular bike that I had to have in a particular color, and nothing else would quite do.

I suppose number four will be a red Hypermotard, once those finally hit production.
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  9:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

There should be a category for "gotta have it", although I'm not sure I could define exactly what that means. The few new bikes that I've bought, plus the last used one that I bought were definitely in that category. It's some combination of looks and performance, where color is part of looks. It's a sort of lusting after a particular bike. Maybe someone else can help me define this a bit better.

It's like the Jeep thing or the Harley thing.
For you, it's the Ducati thing.
If you have to explain it, they wouldn't understand.
I do.
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  11:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Thom Thumb

Please select what you consider to be the ONE deciding factor when you buy a motorcycle. For example, if you were looking at several new motorcycles, all priced the same, all the same color, all with the same performance, all with good service/support, would the brand be the deciding factor?

Yes, I know this is a fantasy question, but I'm trying to find our collective hot buttons here.

Thom Thumb

I don't mean to be critical, but I'm really confused as to how anyone could pick Color, Cost, Performance or Service/Support as their deciding factor when you said in the background material that they're all the same. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure why you included them as options to pick if the bikes are all equal in regard to those categories.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  5:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sox Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Thom Thumb

Please select what you consider to be the ONE deciding factor when you buy a motorcycle. . . .

Thom Thumb

I don't mean to be critical, but I'm really confused as to how anyone could pick Color, Cost, Performance or Service/Support as their deciding factor when you said in the background material that they're all the same. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure why you included them as options to pick if the bikes are all equal in regard to those categories.

Well, lets see - f'rinstance, when I bought Piglet, I had a choice of red, blue, black or silver Sportster 883s. For me, color was the deciding factor, since everything else was equal. I chose red.

Now, suppose scottrnelson had a choice of 2 bikes - each with 120 horsepower, each red, each costing $8,000.00., and his wife doesn't give a hoot which he buys. One is a Kawasaki, and the other is a Ducati. Which do you think he would buy?

Or, suppose there are 3 Brand XYZ dealers within 25 miles of your home, and you're hot for an XYZ Superblustard. Presumably all dealers sell the same bikes for the same price. Now suppose that you are a member of the local XYZ Owner's Club, and most of the club members say "stay away from Apocalypse Cycle Store, and Chariots o' Fire - Dependable Dan's is the best." See you at Dependable Dan's?

Like I said, it was a fantasy question. But hey, riding is a fantastic thing, no?

TT
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:00 AM
I suppose I see your point, but in each of your examples, you don't really have a choice as to what your deciding factor is, do you? If you've already decided to buy a Sporster 883 and the only difference is color, then color has to be your deciding factor. If you're going to by the Superblustard and all of the dealers offer them at the same price but there's one that has a bad service reputation, then your choice is pretty much made for you.

I guess I'm being a little contrarian here, but the poll just doesn't seem to make sense to me. If everything is equal except for one factor, then you don't really have a choice, unless you want to resort to the old coin toss or gut feeling. Then again, it's your poll, so hopefully you got what you wanted out of the responses. No hard feelings, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  12:19 PM
quote:

. . . No hard feelings, eh?

Not at all. One of the things I learned in 35 years of marketing is that everybody thinks different.

TT
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  10:53 AM
quote:

If you've already decided to buy a Sporster 883 and the only difference is color, then color has to be your deciding factor.

I don't take that from it at all..
Thom Thumb said, "When I bought Piglet, I knew what brand (italics mine)I wanted, so brand equalled non-issue."
Brand was his deciding factor, not color.
He decided he wanted a Harley, not just any red motorcycle...
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  12:34 PM
I can see that I could have structured the poll a little better. But I did learn that for most buyers, brand is the main consideration.

Now, before anyone jumps on me, let's all agree that this was not, and never pretended to be a scientific sampling.

Thank you all for your responses.

TT
Go to Top of Page

Lone Wolf
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Loxahatchee, Fl
USA

Kawasaki

1500 Vulcan Bobber

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  5:06 PM
I think I'd choose performance, if defined as reliability, rideability,and overall putting it in the "wind-ness."
I ride a motorcycle because its fun, it's freedom, it's a bit more power than my truck, I have met tons of really great folks on two wheels, and unlike my truck I take ANY excuse to ride. Especially back and forth to work. I run between 100 and 500 miles a week. I don't ride my motorcycle to, showoff, to thumb my nose at society,(well maybe just a little) to make anyother statement other than this is what I choose to do with my time and money.
Dang I run on and on...sheesh...ok
enough already
Luke
Go to Top of Page

chord97bmw
Male Standard Member
236 Posts

Kanawha Valley, WV
USA

BMW

R1150R

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  6:52 PM
Deciding factor when NOT buying a bike:

Elevated, race track style gas tank that would serve to crush my pelvis and groin.

Very high seat height.

Go to Top of Page

quicksilver
Male Junior Member
50 Posts

Catalina, Arizona
USA

Honda

XR650L

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  12:24 PM
When I first started riding I had a great many British bikes. The reason was that they were mechanically interesting and they did what I needed (they intrigued me). Mostly however they were unreliable. But they were well made from a machinist's perspective.

One gentleman said he would have several areas to consider when making a large purchase. That makes sense to me. I would have to say I look at DESIGN when making a buying decision for a motorcycle. If I want the bike to do certain things; I want it to do them well.

What do I want the bike to DO? How is that bike's design to coincide with my needs? I would have never considered this recent bike I won previously. I have had dirt bikes when I was a lot younger. but they were really dirt-only oriented. They had some dirt-track TT bikes back in the 1970's that would LOVE to have today but from a functionality perspective I want something that can run down dirt roads in the desert for 20-30 miles and still get around town. I considered some Buells but the money was too high.

I would have to say DESIGN, Functionality, Reliability, & Cost. If that bike isn't reliable I am going to have a serious walk ahead of me. I have had experience with a bike that was not the most reliable machine and it's seriously no fun. There are some bikes (not many thank Goodness) that no amount of service can maintain them as well as bikes that are so complex that road side repairs are pout of the question......that's a real issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05