(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Rain gear alternative...
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Lockjaw
Male Senior Member
413 Posts

San Francisco, CA
USA

Honda

73 CB450, Kymco 150

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  9:01 PM                       Like
Was riding in pouring rain all day and I was so glad I figured out the rain thing a while back. Good rain gear is essential, but expensive. I went through a few pairs of cheap rain overpants before i realized that I could get a pair of snowboard pants cheap. Legs were dry all day. Lots of pockets. Plus they look just like khaki pants. Thought I'd share. For those of us on a budget. ;)

My armored jacket is waterproof. It wasn't cheap, even on sale.

Destinc
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

Brooklyn, NY
USA

Yamaha

'07 Roadliner

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  3:38 PM
Nice tip. I'm gonna do that, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Deseret Rider
Male Advanced Member
776 Posts
[Mentor]

Helper, Utah
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  8:34 PM
How would you say those compared to 'Frogg Toggs'? (which I have tried and found to be quite effective in keeping the water out---especially in that lower seat/ crotch area) Don't remember now what the Frogg Toggs cost---but they were not very expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Lockjaw
Male Senior Member
413 Posts

San Francisco, CA
USA

Honda

73 CB450, Kymco 150

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  12:59 AM
the benefits of snowboard pants as I see them are as follows:

-the seat is reinforced because you fall on your ass a lot snowboarding, so the rain really stays out even on a wet seat.

-i know i should but i don't wear armored pants. i wear gloves, jacket, full helmet, boots, everything else, but my job makes it hard to keep changing pants. the snowboard pants are thick and i can wear them as regular pants.

-i kept an eye on amazon and got a pair of nice volcom pants for 40-60$ as I recall. just looked up the gear you mentioned. cheap, but doesn't really work unless you want to keep changing. i wear my snowboard pants with shirt and tie...i may make noise when i walk, but it's either that or change pants 6 times a day.

-i wash them and wear them like regular pants and i can wear them all day and stay dry. i couldn't find a 'rain pant' in my price range that was as durable and dependable.

-try it, you'll like it. ;)
Go to Top of Page

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  3:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lockjaw

-i know i should but i don't wear armored pants. i wear gloves, jacket, full helmet, boots, everything else, but my job makes it hard to keep changing pants. the snowboard pants are thick and i can wear them as regular pants.

Perhaps you should consider armored undergarments. They won't be visible under snowboard pants.

Here are a couple of links but there are many others....

http://www.terrapowersports.com/pro...mfr&id=51144

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co....ro_pants.asp
Go to Top of Page

MrDude_1
Male Standard Member
103 Posts

Charleston, SC
USA

Honda

CBR1000RR

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  2:09 PM
I know you just said you saw my other thread.. but before i tossed myself down the interstate on thoes JoeRocket pants, they were completely waterproof.. i rode thru a couple rainstorms in them.. my legs/seat stayed bone dry.

plus they have zippers that go both ways on the pantlegs... so instead of having pants LIKE khakis, you can have your khakis on, and pull these on and off without removing your shoes/boots/whatever... takes 10 seconds to step out of them...
Go to Top of Page

Cutshai02
Starting Member
1 Posts

new york, ny
USA

BSA

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  2:05 AM
That?s actually a fantastic advice. Shopping for rain gear and Work Out Clothes are actually very important. I bought some for myself from https://www.carbon38.com/shop-all-activewear and good to know about what can be done during rain. This way I will be able to save a lot of money. It does rain a lot here but I have been managing somehow with the umbrella
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
727 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  10:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cutshai02

That?s actually a fantastic advice. Shopping for rain gear and Work Out Clothes are actually very important. I bought some for myself from https://www.carbon38.com/shop-all-activewear and good to know about what can be done during rain. This way I will be able to save a lot of money. It does rain a lot here but I have been managing somehow with the umbrella

Interesting, I'd be happy to know how you manage to ride with an umbrella.

Personally, my ski/snowboard pants don't fit over or under my motorcycle pants. I was given a pair of rain pants that match the brand of my motorcycle pants, and fit well over top, although they're a bit too long when walking, and hemming them is expensive. For a rain jacket, the motorcycle jacket I was given, has one that goes either inside or outside. I prefer the rain jacket on the outside.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05