(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Was I right ?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

bridwell52
Male Senior Member
377 Posts

Pensacola, FL
USA

BMW

KGT

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  5:15 AM                       Like
In my club we have a range of experience of the members. We always adjust to the least experienced because we are a club and enjoy everyones company. At times we post a ride we called spirited to let some of the experienced riders enjoy a brisk pace. Every one knows what we mean by spirited. Last week I show up for a spirited ride at the meeting place and here is a couple,each on their own bike and the husband has a child on the back. While waiting for others to show, he duck walks his bike to the pump and sits on it while he fills it up. I asked him if he knew this ride was for experienced people and he said yes. "I have been riding 20 years"
At take off the group headed north and I headed home. I told the leader I was doing this.
It turns out he and his wife held the group up and no one was happy. His wife dumped in a parking lot that day at low speed .
How do you tell some one you dont need to be riding with this group on this type of run and leave the kids at home, without hurting their feelings.
David

msneedtx
Male New Member
18 Posts

Irving, TX
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  12:18 PM
I think you were dead right or rather "alive" right! As a new rider I would not dare join an experienced group until I thought I was ready and my daughter won't ride on my bike because I won't let her (she is happy in the convertible). I think someone in the group probably said yes and that leaves everyone else in a bad spot. You sent the right message but it is a shame you had to miss out on a ride day (few and far between when the whether is perfect). Not speaking from experience other than common sense - Might be a good idea to have the group agree to a process for new riders (maybe even a "no new riders" on spirited days). I had someone invite me to a Sunday ride group. I declined. I appreciated it but it would not be appropriate. Sticking to parking lot cones (30 for $30 at Sport Authority)!
Go to Top of Page

msneedtx
Male New Member
18 Posts

Irving, TX
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  12:19 PM
weather.. not whether.. oops
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  1:06 PM
Sometimes you can't express something other than directly. You can still be polite, but you can also say, "I don't think carrying a child is appropriate on this ride. I would feel very bad if something happened to your child, and would prefer not to be a part of it."

There are times to politely give in to minor requests, even if inconvenient, and times not to give in. Where children are concerned, not giving in on a matter of safety is required.
Go to Top of Page

Dawg Rider
Male Senior Member
306 Posts

Sasser, GA
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD Super Glide

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  6:41 AM
weather.. not whether.. oops

Just FYI...you can edit typos in a message that has already been posted using the edit button (the one with the little pencil). I should know, as I end to have at least one edit within about 2 minutes of a post.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  9:00 AM
Our group rides are generally lethargic in pace. Every once and awhile, a few of us get together for a little more spirited pace. We usually avoid the public forum in setting these up. That way, we keep them safe, and nobody's feelings are hurt.
Go to Top of Page

sanglant
75 Posts

Birmingham, AL
USA

(Unknown - Other)

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  1:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bridwell52

In my club we have a range of experience of the members. We always adjust to the least experienced because we are a club and enjoy everyones company. At times we post a ride we called spirited to let some of the experienced riders enjoy a brisk pace. Every one knows what we mean by spirited. Last week I show up for a spirited ride at the meeting place and here is a couple,each on their own bike and the husband has a child on the back. While waiting for others to show, he duck walks his bike to the pump and sits on it while he fills it up. I asked him if he knew this ride was for experienced people and he said yes. "I have been riding 20 years"
At take off the group headed north and I headed home. I told the leader I was doing this.
It turns out he and his wife held the group up and no one was happy. His wife dumped in a parking lot that day at low speed .
How do you tell some one you dont need to be riding with this group on this type of run and leave the kids at home, without hurting their feelings.
David

Which club? <g> If it's the FBR 'adult' ride, then you turn them back at the first stop. If you can't hang with that group, go home. Don't let them try and push to keep up, because that is where accidents happen. If you aren't the group leader, tell the leader to punt them. If he won't, then no, you aren't wrong at all. The fast rides are not for newbs or casual riders. Some guys can run two up on the fast rides (I've seen Henry and Tony do it with Linda as passenger), but most can't. I don't think I could, and I sure wouldn't try it given any other option.

If it's another club, then you weren't wrong for peeling off. I'd just want to be a little more sure of the views on keeping up with the group and what a "spirited" ride is. With my chapter of the Southern Cruisers it's a lot different than the FBR's.

Also, make them define "experience." Riding for 20 years doesn't mean a damn thing if it's all straight roads and interstate curves. Hell, I've been riding a big bike longer than Josh Herrin, but which one of us has the AMA ride?
Go to Top of Page

bridwell52
Male Senior Member
377 Posts

Pensacola, FL
USA

BMW

KGT

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  5:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sanglant

quote:
Originally posted by bridwell52

David

Which club? <g> If it's the FBR 'adult' ride, then you turn them back at the first stop. If you can't hang with that group, go home. Don't let them try and push to keep up, because that is where accidents happen. If you aren't the group leader, tell the leader to punt them. If he won't, then no, you aren't wrong at all. The fast rides are not for newbs or casual riders. Some guys can run two up on the fast rides (I've seen Henry and Tony do it with Linda as passenger), but most can't. I don't think I could, and I sure wouldn't try it given any other option.

If it's another club, then you weren't wrong for peeling off. I'd just want to be a little more sure of the views on keeping up with the group and what a "spirited" ride is. With my chapter of the Southern Cruisers it's a lot different than the FBR's.

Also, make them define "experience." Riding for 20 years doesn't mean a damn thing if it's all straight roads and interstate curves. Hell, I've been riding a big bike longer than Josh Herrin, but which one of us has the AMA ride?

You have mail
David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05