(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 making that 911 call
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Cat-woman
Female Standard Member
234 Posts

Radcliff, KY
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  2:54 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
As my DH and I were returning home last night, we had a run in with an idiot. We were being passed by another car on a 4 lane road with 2 interior turn lanes. We were also in a cage.

All of a sudden we hear a loud truck come up on us--lights off--and pass both of us in the turn lane. Remember we were side by side as the other car was barely passing us at the time. He was off at 90+.

DH was able to get the plate and I got the phone. This was the second time I got the pleasure of calling 911 due to a dangerous driver. In the first case the guy was obviously drunk and since I was driving I had pulled off to call--no blue-tooth at the time. I was surprised when they asked if I could follow him. I understood they wanted to find me and then get him, but I was uncomfortable being around him to start.

So, I am wondering, how many of us have ever had to make the call or are willing to do it.

edit--was trying to add "haven't made, but willing to" at Mikeydude's suggestion. That would have been a great catagory. I wont bother everyone by reposting, but feel free to place your vote where you think it should go, or just put it in a reply.

Results:
Never made call, had not reason/opportunity   [19%] 9 votes 
Never made call, but saw reason to do so   [13%] 6 votes 
Have made call   [63%] 30 votes 
Have made call, wish I hadn't   [4%] 2 votes 
Not my call to make   [2%] 1 votes 
= Guests (9 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 48 counted  »»   Last Vote: 07/25/2008 6:15 PM 

Edited by - Cat-woman on 07/15/2008 12:16 AM

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  5:26 PM
You left out the one about call not made, but willing to. Thats me... lol.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:16 PM
Most recently, to report an overturned golf cart blocking lanes 1 and 2 of state highway, (Hwy 83, N of Franktown).

It had apparently fallen off the back of a trailer, the last of several, without the driver having noticed. Just over the crest of a hill, clearly it was only a matter of time before this became a really big problem. I had to brake hard, and do a rather abrupt lane jump. So yes, I made the call.

My first concious thought was this must be LEO's worst nightmare, with respect to positioning. Counting on bright overheads and a short line of sight to save his buns, highway+ speeds. Scary! Still better odds than the golf cart alone though, I guess. Eventually, a second officer arrived, and positioned himself at the top of the hill. Whew, dodged a bullet, almost literally.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  12:15 AM

I've made only one or two calls in many years but in either case, DUI or very aggressive/dangerous driving. I'll call it in any day of the week if I see something that warrants it (IMO). I'd rather feel like I can have a positive impact versus the impact that other driver might end up making .... then I'd just read about it in the paper w/i a day or two and end up feeling sad or useless.

~ brian
Go to Top of Page

JDTexas
Male Junior Member
49 Posts

Victoria, TX
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  11:01 AM
I called once when I was on a major highway and a car in front of me was weaving all over the place, even into the oncoming lane from the far right lane. They had me follow him/her for atleast 20 miles while I talked to the dispatcher. Finally they were able to get a trooper out there to pull him/her over. I don't know what happened after that since I didn't stop after the officer got there. They had my contact info if they needed to ask me anything.

JD
Go to Top of Page

Cat-woman
Female Standard Member
234 Posts

Radcliff, KY
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:09 AM
I must say, I am pretty darn impressed with the results so far. Good on ya for 1) making those calls, and 2) being honest.

Thanks for the additional idea--I'll see if I can add it.
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:40 AM
While I was coming home from work several years ago on a two-lane road, I was passed by someone who was screaming along at least 30 miles faster than the traffic. He came around me despite an oncoming car, pulling in so soon that, if I had not already anticipated him and hit the brake, he would have sideswiped me.

Once around me, he had to slow down, because oncoming traffic was too thick for him to pass the car in front of me. I was able to get his license no. while he waited. As soon as a small gap appeared, he raced around the car in front and on down the road.

I pulled off and called 911, gave them the number, car description, and location.

When I got to the outskirts of Jacksonville, I saw the car pulled over with two blue-lights, one in front and one behind. They had the guy spread-eagle over the back of his car. Very satisfying.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  2:14 AM
Hey Mikeydude ....

quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

You left out the one about call not made, but willing to. Thats me... lol.

Okay, I'm more than 'kinda slow' so tell me what that means...

~ brian
Go to Top of Page

Speedmaster07
287 Posts

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Triumph

Speedmaster

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  12:47 AM
I've called 911 from my cell phone a number of times since I first got one about 12 years ago... accidents, debris in the road, a brushfire or two, and a few drunks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05