(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Questions & Answers
 Ask Our Administrators
 Finding old active members
Member Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Administrators]  

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250
Peer Review: 1

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:37 AM                       Like
Is there a way to find out what happened to folks that fell away from the outage/migration to your new provider? It seems that there are several missing posters that were quite active prior to the "big outage". It seems they might not have found the new site - there were some dns issues that have been corrected.

It may be folks just move on. I think that some folks just gave up trying to connect after the big change. I think you were down for close to two weeks. Possibly it is just the time of year that North Americans are not looking for M/C advise. It seems that many active members just fell away.

Is there a way to send an invitation to folks that were active until the change, but have not posted since?
Administrators These Administrators provided these Answers to the Question

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17375 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  11:28 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
It seems they might not have found the new site - there were some dns issues that have been corrected.

The URL used to access this site has been the same for over a decade (http://www.msgroup.org). That was true before the 'migration', during it, and after.

I control which server gets control with that URL, not my host providers. That is, the domain name is mine and I set the server address it points to.

Sending a 'please return' invitation is not something I wish to have happen. As you said, people leave for various reasons and, unless they have been banned, can return whenever they wish to do so. Our messages and my safety articles are ALL indexed by the various search engines and therefore it is not at all hard for anybody to find the site.
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:01 PM
At one point, after the migration, I had mentioned that signing onto msgroup.org sent you to a page that required credentials to sign on. I, myself, rarely use the www.ANYSITE.whatever to go to any site. The www's just are so antiquated. For a quite a while I could not connect to msgroup.org as I always had. I refound the site by adding the initial www.

I am thinking that by a sort on your database that a simple invite to active folks that have not posted since could be sent an invitation.

Some sort of search on folks that had two or three posts per week before the site went down and have not posted since.

I really do understand that most of the folks that enjoyed and got benefit from this site have found their way back. Some do not have the internet/computer skills to do the same. That is why I ask for a sort and invite!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17375 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:29 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
When the site is down it doesn't matter what URL you use to try to access it, you will fail.

During the migration there were a couple of weeks that the site was down. Then I built a new site. During that time I reserved the msgroup.org URL for my personal usage as I built and transferred code and databases here.

If you elect to not use the 'antiquated' full URL to gain access and it doesn't give you automatic access, is that my problem or yours?

There will be no automatic 'please return' invitations sent out from this site.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Administrators]  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05