(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Questions & Answers
 Ask Our Administrators
  Self-fulfilling mentor membership?
 Rounding out the Q&A feature is the new Associated Topics feature
Member Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Administrators]  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17322 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  1:01 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Associated Topic was
quote:
At first glance, I liked the sound of a venue like Ask Our Mentors where members can pose critical questions and mentors can respond. However, now I wonder whether the group of mentors might now become somewhat "sticky", and fixed - at most - to its current membership.

This isn't a criticism so much as a curiosity. That said, I'm making the following assumptions:
  • Most posts that get a peer review are for specific responses to questions as opposed to simple back-and-forth banter.

• Individuals who want specific answers to a question will now tend to only use the Ask Our Mentors forum.
If these assumptions are true (and they might not be), then I would think that:
  • Anybody who isn't a mentor today might have a hard time becoming one.

• The universe of mentors will only get smaller over time (due to negative karma earned within here) - not bigger.

So in the spirit of the Ask Our Mentors forum, I guess my question is this: do I have a reason to be concerned?

Edited: The decision to move this original post from the Ask Our Mentors forum to the General Discussion forum rendered references like "this forum" confusing, so I clarified them.
Administrator This Administrator provided this Answer to the Question

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17322 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  1:07 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
As you can see, this is an Associated Topic. It exists as a response to the concerns raised about Mentors being a 'limited' and potentially non-growing set of users, as a natural add-on feature to the Q&A feature, and as a way to allow members to avoid hijacking topics by being able to easily create a new, but associated, topic in which to launch into tangential ideas.

The 'HELP' feature (main menu) provides a brief discussion of the feature and I will provide a detailed description later as well.

Does this new feature actually address those objectives properly/adequately, or are there further enhancements that you might like to see here?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Administrators]  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05