(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Helmet brand preference
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bosscat
Male Standard Member
151 Posts

Fredericksburg, VA
USA

Kawasaki

2006 Vulcan 900

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  6:55 PM
HJC Symax
Been using it since August 2006 (about 8000 miles) fits me well, haven't had any issues with the flip up mechanism or with changing shields. I do switch between tinted and clear, but for a couple months there it seemed I didn't get much use of the tinted, go in to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Glad the days are getting longer.
Go to Top of Page

shadecorp
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

lynwood, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL 883 C

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  1:52 PM

Arai Profile.

Fits Great.
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
726 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  4:05 PM
The one that fits best!

Different brands fit different people differently.
Say that three times fast.

It's best to try on a bunch and see which one(s) fit you the best.

It's not much use if the best looking $1000+ helmet falls off of your head in a crash.
Go to Top of Page

bridwell52
Male Senior Member
377 Posts

Pensacola, FL
USA

BMW

KGT

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  4:32 PM
Do you guys feel that the flip ups are as safe as full helmets? I have never seen a flip up that was Snell approved and wonder why. I wear a 3/4 and I'm changing to full face. I wear glasses and know how its a pain. I wore a Bell Star many years back and just dealt with the glasses issue. The flip ups seem heavy to me also.
David
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  10:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bridwell52

I have never seen a flip up that was Snell approved and wonder why. The flip ups seem heavy to me also.

quote:
from http://smf.org/faqs.html#11

At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.
I cannot fathom any reason that no flip-ups have been submitted other than the mfg knows it will not pass. I think the reason is similar to why it's nearly impossible to break an egg by squeezing it with even pressure. One piece is stronger than two bolted together. A flip-up is always going to carry a weight penalty of the hinge mechanism. My guess is that same mechanism is the weak link.

There is a chin bar deflection test that I speculate these things have a hard time passing. All that said, they are far better than a Snell certified 3/4 which would not be subject to the chin bar deflection test for obvious reasons.

Go to Top of Page

quicksilver
Male Junior Member
50 Posts

Catalina, Arizona
USA

Honda

XR650L

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  11:41 AM
I went to all sorts of trouble to get a Bell as they used 'em back when I started riding and they always seem to fit so snugly (but no "Bell" was in the poll). It was tough to get a price break on them.

One Bell (fit's snug but has that certain "feel" that I like)
One HJC (very comfortable)

- Both full face.
Go to Top of Page

falcon1
Male Standard Member
247 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Indian

Chief

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  1:31 PM
Shoei full face- quietest helmet out there. That, to me is as important as it's durability.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  2:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by falcon1

Shoei full face- quietest helmet out there. That, to me is as important as it's durability.

I find that interesting, because I have Shoei RF-700, RF-800, and RF-1000 helmets and I don't consider them to be particularly quiet. Earplugs are the only solution for me.
Go to Top of Page

falcon1
Male Standard Member
247 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Indian

Chief

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:
Originally posted by falcon1

I find that interesting, because I have Shoei RF-700, RF-800, and RF-1000 helmets and I don't consider them to be particularly quiet. Earplugs are the only solution for me.

Mine has gotten louder over the last few years. Ear plugs are also in my "all the gear" scenario; even without them, it's quieter than other helmets I've tried.
To be fair, however; check this out: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...et-noise.htm
Go to Top of Page

falcon1
Male Standard Member
247 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Indian

Chief

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:58 PM
And this: http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/helmet.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05