(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Night riding
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  8:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gdickelman

My fog lights - which I keep on at night - were bothering him.

I would have done the same thing. It's rude to have extra lights, or high beam aimed at people's rearview mirrors, day or night, but especially at night.

They don't help your visibility when you're right behind someone else. Save them for when you're not behind others.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  10:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:
Originally posted by gdickelman

My fog lights - which I keep on at night - were bothering him.

I would have done the same thing. It's rude to have extra lights, or high beam aimed at people's rearview mirrors, day or night, but especially at night.

They don't help your visibility when you're right behind someone else. Save them for when you're not behind others.

For certain and my mechanic wired my lightbar into the highbeam switch while explaining this very same thing to me
Go to Top of Page

Cereal Killer
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

Roseville, CA
USA

BMW

K1200LT

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  11:32 PM
Interesting that I don't see a response nearly like mine is when I've thought about the question. It has come up since we have some members of the club I ride with who hate riding at night. I don't mind riding in the dark, kind of enjoy it sometimes when traffic is light and the road is straight (or at least not too twisty).

But I don't often ride after dark, simply because the great majority of time I'm riding for pleasure, and the it's not nearly as much fun when you can't see the scenery, or enjoy a twisty road like you can in the daytime.

I'll ride at night at the beginning, or end of a day long ride, when I have the fun part planned for daylight hours, but am going some distance from my home, and I want to get there, and/or back on the freeway part, and not waste good daylight doing it. Or, sometimes, I actually need to use the putt to get me somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Dannytheman
Male Junior Member
43 Posts

Philly, PA
USA

(None)

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  10:22 AM
I ride all year and any time. I will admit that I vary my nighttime habits depending on the season.

Summer, I have to watch out more for Deer. With trees and brush heavy hard to see until they are out in front of you.
Winter, deer are easier to see but more active with rutt and pregnancy.

When I am the first at a redlight, and a cage is coming up from behind me I blink my brake lights so they get the attention of the driver. Bike lights are smaller usually so flashing is good! Slow down and enjoy the night air.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05