(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Applied to be a RiderCoach
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

2WheelsGood
Starting Member
9 Posts

Detroit, MI
USA

BMW

F800GS

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  3:23 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by kacinpa
Wish me luck!

Good luck, and keep us informed.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  4:07 PM
Good luck, I am sure you will make out fine congrats. on the accomplishment it is not something everyone coud get through.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:30 PM
It went better than I expected tonight.

I got over the nerves after about 5 min. The class is great, very engaged and motivated people, it made it easy.

One of the Trainers showed up about halfway through and observed from the hallway through a window while chatting with the RC assigned to the course. He only had a few suggestions for improvements.

I am looking forward to Friday and the weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  2:45 AM
quote:
I got over the nerves after about 5 min. The class is great, very engaged and motivated people, it made it easy.

Yep the classroom is usually not to difficult and it gives you a chance to learn about your students as individuals. Take advantage of it, engage them, learn their names and faces, they will be surprised when they show up again and you call them by name.

Remember what I said about putting yourself in their place. If you think you were nervous and you had a right to be. How do you think they felt, after all unless they were told they had no clue this was your first time. As far as they know you have been doing this for years.

They on the other hand are in a room full of strangers, they have all the normal social fears that comes with that plus they are worried, some even scared they will not do well, embarrass themselves or worse maybe even get hurt. Some of them, many perhaps have never ridden and are worried that their classmates have experience and are already starting out in a hole. The best classes I have are the ones where the students bond as a team and pull together for all to succeed. When you as a Rider Coach can set the stage for that to happen you will have made a great leap. Just remember it's not about you, it's about them. Difficult to do sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  6:03 AM
Thanks Axiom, great points.

With the RCP course still fresh in my mind, it was easy to put myself in position of the participants. At the beginning of the session I explained to the class that they would be learning from each other much more than from me and I was just there to guide them through the process. I think the attitude of the RiderCoach is key to how well the students progress. In the MSF courses I have done in the past most did a great job of being a facilitator vs being a "teacher". The "teacher" or "sage on stage" types always seem to come of as jerks to me, so I am doing my best to stay away from any "spotlight" moments and just let the participants learn from the curriculum and keep my role to facilitating the process.

In my work I have been exposed to Learner-Centered education methods and through my RCP I got some good advise and coaching from the Director of Organizational Learning at my employer. Since we use these methods in our training program I have both experienced the learner's role with someone who facilitates very successfully and had to use the methods for training sessions I lead for others in the company.

Frankly I had very little worry about doing the classroom portion. The range is another matter entirely. Given the fact that many, if not most of the riders have never been on a motorcycle before I know I have to be on my toes to maintain range safety. I'm sure it will get easier as I gain experience, but the first few range classes will have me quite nervous, I just hope I can keep it from showing!
Go to Top of Page

2WheelsGood
Starting Member
9 Posts

Detroit, MI
USA

BMW

F800GS

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  7:27 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by kacinpaI'm sure it will get easier as I gain experience, but the first few range classes will have me quite nervous, I just hope I can keep it from showing!

I hear ya! My first true unsupervised class is next month, and one of the coaches I'm working with has been doing this for 20 years. He can't understand why I'm nervous. I hope some day I'll look back and feel the same way.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  6:09 AM
Well this part of my journey is over!

This past weekend I completed my range internship. I did two Range I sections Saturday, C2 in the AM and C1 in the PM, then two Range II sections yesterday C1 in the AM and C2 in the PM. The site coordinator was with me yesterday and had a bunch of good tips that helped me a bunch, mostly around where to position the class and myself more precisely during instructions and demo. One of our trainers was there to observe yesterday afternoon and he and the coordinator really backed off and left me to work with the coach who was doing C1 for most of the time.

2WheelsGood: Stick to the cards and you will be fine! I witnessed first hand when doing C2 yesterday what happens when you add your own "juicy bits" to what is on the cards. It can be just too much information and just leads to confusion.

I am already in the schedule to coach Wednesday evening and next Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

When I was early in the process I scoured the internet for what to expect in the training process and came up blank. I wanted to document my experience for others going forward. Nothing about it is "super secret" but suffice to say you will be stressed, stretched and hopefully experience growth both in facilitating ability and personally through this process. This was one of the most challenging things I have ever done. For me at least, The Calculus, Organic Chemistry, high level Statistics were all a breeze compared to the RCP course. If you are committed to giving back and helping others learn to ride safely, don't let that hold you back. It was tough, but well worth it!
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  3:29 PM
Congratulations Keith! Well done and thanks for sharing your journey.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  6:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kacinpa

I am already in the schedule to coach Wednesday evening and next Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
So how did your first night go?
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  6:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by aidanspa

[So how did your first night go?

It was a tad awkward.

I ended up being one of the two "fully qualified" RiderCoaches for the class that one of my RCP classmates was "interning". So while trying to avoid making any errors on my own, I was also supposed to watch and critique my peer from training. The other truly experienced RiderCoach just sort of kicked back and watched the two of us and gave us some feedback on breaks.

Overall, it went well. We had a very nervous under 18yo rider who actually progressed very well and had gained confidence and "exhibited motor skill development" by the end of the evening.

This weekend I am coaching with the Site Coordinator, so that should be good. He is awesome at giving tips and feedback so I will hopefully pick up some more skills as well as gain experience.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05