(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Do you support mandatory helmet laws?
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dannytheman
Male Junior Member
43 Posts

Philly, PA
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  4:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by VodkaAndPickles

quote:

I am sorry that you and I will never ride together. I think we could have been great friends. How do you feel about blacks and hispanics? As long as they wear a helmet?

What do blacks and hispanics have to do with anything?

Wooooooshhhhhh!! That one go over your head??

I was preferencing my friend Rio's comments on not "riding with bikers with no helmets on"! Or his perceived prejudice on the matter. Sorry I was a little to deep on that one for you!

Rio, let me know when you will be out in the Philly area EVER!! You and I can ride to New Jersey, and have a long great ride with lids on... BTW, the pleasure would be all mine!!! Let's shoot for a cool autumn day though?!?!?

Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  5:39 PM
There's no real connection there, Danny. Refusing to associate with someone because you disagree with his or her behavior is not at all akin to refusing to associate with someone because of his or her race or ethnicity.
Go to Top of Page

VodkaAndPickles
Male Advanced Member
589 Posts

Langhorne, PA
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 1500 LC

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  10:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BadBob

There's no real connection there, Danny. Refusing to associate with someone because you disagree with his or her behavior is not at all akin to refusing to associate with someone because of his or her race or ethnicity.

Exactly what I meant. Although I may just not be smart enough to understand the profundity of Danny's statement. Who knows?
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  3:27 AM
*Lets all hope the 'wooooooshhhhhh' goes over their head IF they aren't wearing a helmet!

*The helmet-less rider vs cultural diversity sounds like a shot at putting negative spin on an opposing viewpoint.... as BadBob points out, no connection at all.

*As for rioguy, it seems to me, he just wants to insure friendships with those that have a quest for survivability .... isn't that an admirable trait .. ?

~ brian
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  5:40 AM
Seems to me that arguing mandatory helmet use is akin to arguing politics or religion, it is highly unlikely minds will be changed. I believe for many reasons motorcycle usage and new riders are increasing, along with that will come increased injury and death. Because of this, it is likely that our government will at some point enact mandatory laws. Although I do believe the act of wearing a good helmet can reduce your chances of being seriously injured or dying in a motorcycle wreck, I would much rather see any legislated efforts aimed at mandated training and licensing. I am an ATGATT kind of rider, heck at my age just falling off a parked motorcycle could have serious consequences. However, there is no doubt in my mind the greatest safety gear any rider can have is there mind, attitude and skills. The better they are the less chance there is one would ever need to test their gear.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  7:39 AM
I've been pondering Danny's statement since he made it, but until now, haven't had an answer.

There are some situations where we MUST discriminate. For instance, we can legally only have one wife, we choose a job, we choose a school to attend, and we can choose who to ride with. If there are two groups riding at once, we must discriminate against one to ride with the other.

So, I've chosen to discriminate based on helmet usage for a narrowly defined reason. I don't like to see heads broken open. But I still question if this is valid.

I have a lot of other discriminators which pretty much force me to ride alone, which is fine. Mostly they center around a person's willingness to continuously improve their skills rather than their actual current skill level. The problem with a group is there is always someone with the "let's go ride" mentality who doesn't want any part of improving skills. In fact, their response will be hostile if it is brought up.

So, Danny, if you want to ride with me, you would have to satisfy me that you have an ongoing program to improve your skills. If you could demonstrate this, I might waive the helmet requirement. For that, you could come to Colorado. I don't think I'll be heading any further east than Ohio for awhile.

There are some newer riders here I'd happily ride with. Shaunt, Degaboh, Texas photographer,and others who are improving their skills. There are experienced riders I'd never ride with for various reasons.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rioguy

If you could demonstrate this, I might waive the helmet requirement. For that, you could come to Colorado. I don't think I'll be heading any further east than Ohio for awhile.

Interesting.
Rio makes no such consolation for Colorado riders.

I support helmet use, without the laws. But then, since Colorado has no helmet law, perhaps a majority of our riders ride sans-helmet.

I've seen, and been in crashes where the helmet saved the rider's life. It's easy to argue the need. The arguement over legality is a bit tougher. I just wear mine, and avoid the arguement altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Cat-woman
Female Standard Member
234 Posts

Radcliff, KY
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  1:41 PM
I had a friend in HS that was hit from behind. She was popped over the car in front of her and landed on her head. When she woke with EMS evaluating her, she had a piece of her helmet in her hand. EMS told her if she hadn't had the helmet on she would have ended up TBI. Her helmet saved her life.

In terms of helmet laws, I am all for them. I don't like paying for my medical expenses let alone for someone that refuses to use proper safety measures.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:56 PM
Smart behavior trumps ignorant behavior every time. Ignorant behavior is can be cured through awareness and education. Stupid seems to be incurable and the stupid are often proud of both their stupidity and sometimes, their ignorance, and and are particularly proud when they guess something that turns out to be correct such as "today I did not crash my motorcycle and land on my head.

Some smart people do not wear a helmet. Perhaps this is because they think they can outsmart people who are ignorant, or drunk, or stupid. Some ignorant people say "see that smart guy doesn't wear a helmet. Sometimes these people meet each other.

How many Neuro or Ortho surgeons ride without a helmet? Can you name one? Just because I'm not a neuro or ortho surgeon doesn't mean that I can't ride like one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05